New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by splerdu
    The problem with the i-Drive is that it's complicated, and relies on unreliable software (Windows CE). I have nothing against using computers for managing a car... airplanes wouldn't be as safe as they are today without computers. What's bad here is you have a complex system running on an unreliable base. If something fails, everything fails and that's very bad... Imagine if Windows crashed while you were driving at 200kph!

The drawback is that modern consumer operating systems do not have a failsafe mode. Windows, MacOSX, even Linux won't know what to do in case a program goes awry and crashes. Flight control systems use a proprietary OS where all points of failure are mapped out. For every possible case, the computer will always have a fallback plan. IMO BMW was incredibly naive to think they can just substitue a consumer OS for what should be a fail-safe system, and using Windows, no less!
    Hehe... ilang beses ba magcrash ang freshly installed Windows? Paano pa kung marami ng duming kahalo... :mrgreen:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kawawang tao talaga...tsk..tsk.:o

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    kasi dapat ang BMW.. sa atin binibigay at hinde sa opisyal.. hehehe.. they are to special for the cars.. hahahaha :lol:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kawawa namn ung prime minister prisoner in his own car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:!::roll::lol::lol:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ... so they had to smash the windows when Windows crashed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what!?!?!
    8O
    :lol::lol::lol:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    there are far better companies other than microsoft that develop software for cars. nalimutan ko na yung name but the company that makes the ecu ng mga F1 cars is a good example. i saw their site a few months ago. <something>wind yata yung pangalan. baliw naman ang BMW to think that microsoft can handle yung programming ng i-Drive nila. :evil:

either way, they should have built-in some sort of safety cut-out sa car so that it unlocks the doors, shuts of the engine, slows down automatically (when driving) pag nag-crash ang windows CE nila.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I agree with the statement about Windows CE. My iPaq always loses data for one reason or another....aggravating :x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BMW computer failure traps Thai minister