New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Which one offers better paint protection: Wax or Polymer Sealants?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Polymer sealant. Pero meron din tradeoffs yan. Waxes deepens the shine while sealants tend to be more reflective. Mas durable nga lang ang sealants.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imo, mas practical talaga yung sealant for everyday protection... bilis madissolve yung carnauba wax in summer heat, mga 2 weeks lang ata for a multi-layer application

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends on the brand of the sealant as well... don't be fooled just because something is labeled a sealant... there are different sealants available, acrylic, polymers, etc...

in the end, they're all a sacrificial layer for the paint... all else being equal, sealants last longer than waxes, but there are exceptions wherein a particular wax will outlast certain sealants (ie Collinite and Blitz)...

carnauba doesn't dissolve... it evaporates, so will sealants, only at a slower rate.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    whats a good brand ng sealant for auto detailing. so its better to use sealant because they last longer than caranuba?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's not "better" as I've said... it all depends on what your needs are... sealants may provide a longer lasting protection, but it also gives most users a false sense of security because when sealants fade, they're not as apparent as waxes, so your paint may actually become unprotected without you knowing.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sealants may provide a longer lasting protection, but it also gives most users a false sense of security because when sealants fade, they're not as apparent as waxes, so your paint may actually become unprotected without you knowing.
    so theveed......in your experience, when should we have the sealant reapplied? i had my car paint protected at ziebart last dec. 2002. accdg to the service advisor na i could bring it every 6 mos as the most frequent for the reapplication. whats your opinion on this? suffice na ba itong interval na ito for sealants? thanks in advance.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    usually sealants will last 3-6 months, tops... but it all depends on the type of sealant you use, cheapo sealants sold in shops usually last 3-5 weeks, high end sealants last 2-3 months in manila condition...

just to show how misleading those paint protection claims are. there are NO sealants out there right now that can honestly, last over 3-6 months in manila weather if driven daily... i mean, they charge you several grand for the first app then requires you to reapply every 6-12 months... the claims aren't holding up.

i suggest you calculate whether it's really feasable to get your car serviced by them for "protection" based on the price/durability issue.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    If my car still has wax and I want to apply a polymer sealant, do I need to clay it first, or can I just layer the sealant on top of the wax?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wax vs. Polymer Sealant