New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    I'm not sure if this has been posted here before... but i found this article online and it's a very good read. Especially with the popularity of ceramic coatings nowadays.

Surface Tension: Understanding How Wax & Ceramic Nano Coatings Work in Auto Detailing

Enjoy reading!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been posted here before... but i found this article online and it's a very good read. Especially with the popularity of ceramic coatings nowadays.

Surface Tension: Understanding How Wax & Ceramic Nano Coatings Work in Auto Detailing

Enjoy reading!
    I accidentally saw this, and it seems ceramic coating is quite a "hassle" to maintain. I mean, I thought you can simply use any kind of wax to prolong the effect of the said coating. I might be wrong though but I think I'll just stick with regular waxing.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Misconception of coatings in general is that I think that once customers have applied this to their vehicles, they do not need to maintain it anymore, which is not the case.

Ako when I had coating done sa SUV 2 factors went into that decision. First is that since its a big car, having it coated would make it easier to clean (which is true). Second is that I really want to try out coatings in general. If I'm happy with it then probably I would have coatings done with my other cars as well.

So far, I'm quite happy with it. Its not 100% since there are water spots na sa hood (which in our weather here, cannot be helped). I do use certain products like coating safe shampoo and stuff but thats minimal costs only.

So overall, coatings are good but as always you need to maintain it pa rin.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I accidentally saw this, and it seems ceramic coating is quite a "hassle" to maintain. I mean, I thought you can simply use any kind of wax to prolong the effect of the said coating. I might be wrong though but I think I'll just stick with regular waxing.
    refer to similar discussion...

Inputs needed: Glass Coating

post from Technical Details fb page...

Today, we'd like to debunk some marketing gimmicks used by many:

1. Ceramic coatings will never be scratch-proof. Hitting a coated car with a lighter and then removing the "scratches" are just gimmicks. Those are just plastic (material) transfers sticking on the paint. Heck, a simple wipe with an old or dirty cloth would still scratch your paint! It's true though that it will have slight scratch-resistance due to coating's hardness.

2. Watermarks can still appear on your paint when rained on and exposed to sunlight on a daily basis, without proper care. A water bead dried on a surface would leave a mark, no matter what magic trick you do. Neglected cars will still look bad after a few months of neglect.

3. Coating application is not the main step that makes your car super glossy. It's the processes before applying it which makes it glossy. Prep work is critical and should not be rushed. Finishing a car in under 6hrs should already warn you of poor prep work. Majority of detailers will leave you holograms that would indicate you just wasted your money.

4. Coatings are VERY EASY to apply. You should find the best and knowledgeable detailer, not the cheapest company that offers the fastest coating application. It's important to stick to your trusted detailer.

We are posting this to stop misinformation to a lot of car owners. Ceramic coatings are still far superior than waxes or sealants, though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thank goodness, graduate na ako dito.

Sorry for that.... carry on. :D

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Thank goodness, graduate na ako dito.

Sorry for that.... carry on. :D
    please explain, sir.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    please explain, sir.
    Being meticulous and OC on paint protection. I used to spend a lot of time and thousands of pesos to protect my car's paint... the "all or nothing" attitude.

The reality is, if it's a daily driver, kahit anong ingat mo kung yung kasama mo sa kalsada (o parking) walang pakialam, it just adds to frustration and more expense if you see scuffs, blemishes or scratches to an otherwise perfect paintwork.

Just airing an opinion that it's a phase I went through and in the end, it really amounted to nothing. Yumaman lang yung dalawang 'M' (Mothers and Meguiars), et al, along with a certain boutique car detail shop in QC.

Let me be clear though. This is not meant to ridicule people who are into this. Just saying, "tapos na ako dyan".
    Last edited by oj88; June 10th, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    *oj88,
    + 1 on what you said. After I detail my car, kung pwede lang wag na gamitin eh. Tago na lang. Haha. But the reality is true, kasi nga daily driver. Di ko pa rin matiis na hindi linisin though.

Kainis lang talaga ung clear coat ng car ko. Kahit na-detail ko na siya, after 3 washes balik na kaagad ung swirls.

And its an old car na rin to have it coated. So no choice but to detail it once in a while.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Being meticulous and OC on paint protection. I used to spend a lot of time and thousands of pesos to protect my car's paint... the "all or nothing" attitude.

The reality is, if it's a daily driver, kahit anong ingat mo kung yung kasama mo sa kalsada (o parking) walang pakialam, it just adds to frustration and more expense if you see scuffs, blemishes or scratches to an otherwise perfect paintwork.

Just airing an opinion that it's a phase I went through and in the end, it really amounted to nothing. Yumaman lang yung dalawang 'M' (Mothers and Meguiars), et al, along with a certain boutique car detail shop in QC.

Let me be clear though. This is not meant to ridicule people who are into this. Just saying, "tapos na ako dyan".
    Kaya dapat tamang OC lang.. wag OA.. hehe.. kaya ako na lang naglilinis ng car ko.. at least ako din may kagagawan ng swirls.. hindi yung nag bayad ka para lagyan ng swirls yung car mo.. imagine ilang car na pinagdaanan nung mga basahan na gamit nila..

Saw an isuzu MU-x with a sticker of a known detailing shop that offers ceramic coating.. funny thing is i didn't see any difference after the rain.. may marks at droplets din.. assuming na may treatment sya ha.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008

well, "ako rin, retirado na rin jan".
    "kayong mga tama, mag-parami muna kayo at pag nakaka-hiya na, ay hihilamusan ko kayo."
    heh heh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Surface Tension: Understanding How Wax & Ceramic Nano Coatings Work