New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    help naman guys, kaka-galing lang namin Batangas a week ago at napa-off road yung pickup namin.. nung nilinis namin the other day .. nagkaroon siya na maraming maliliit na scratches..possibly due to flying pebbles.. di naman malalim.. pero madami siya .. anu kayang possible solution para mawala? ... kakayanin kaya ng rubbing compound yun? knakabahan kasi ako eh .. saan kaya pede pagawa .. na mura naman .. pang-estudyanteng budget .. Salamat! :wink:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Rubbing compound should be one of the last thing you should do, as it is the most aggressive on the paint.

Start with the least aggressive solution, then work your way down to the more aggressive ones.

Start with a little polish. Zymol HD Cleanse or One Grand Special Touch are both good products. Apply in a back and forth (or front to back) motion and see if manages to remove the scratches.

If that doesn't work, you can try products like Meguiars Scratch X.

If that doesn't work, then you can try the rubbing compound.

If that still doesn't work, the only other that you (personally I mean, not a body shop) can do is to attempt to apply touch up paint. I found this pretty difficult, and I've had numerous failures attempting this one.

Work in stages, so you don't mess up your paint even more.

If all else fails, take it to a reputable body shop and ask them what they can do.

Good luck!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try Turtle Polishing Compund

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    renel, based on your description, you probably have the usual-dreaded hood and bumper stone chips from the road... unfortunately, you really have little recourse if the paint has already been chipped off...

NO COMPOUND WILL OF BE ANY USE IF THE PAINT ISN'T THERE...

Compounds and polishes are supposed to level the paint by thinning it to blend with the surrounding paint areas. If the paint isn't there, what's there to compound? None... You'll just thin out the paint areas that aren't even affected.

Oh, don't use TW Polishing Compound, it's crap.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir theveed... i just recently got a new car... and it's color BLACK !!!!...
    already i see multiple scratches along the hood and stuff...

how do i minimize this?

is it possible to remove the scratches at all?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed
    sir theveed... i just recently got a new car... and it's color BLACK !!!!...
    already i see multiple scratches along the hood and stuff...

how do i minimize this?

is it possible to remove the scratches at all?
    To minimize scratches and swirl marks, especially on a black car, be extra careful when you wash and dry your car. When you wash your car, scrub in a forward to backward motion. None of that circular "wax-on-wax-off" motion that the Karate Kid made so popular. Circular movement during cleaning only promotes more scratches!

Apply polish to remove the existing swirl marks, and provide protection to your paint by applying a good layer of wax.

It isn't really that difficult to own and maintain a black car. It just needs a little bit more TLC than cars with a different color.

Good luck, and happy cleaning!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Amen... Theveed...

black is a nightmare... ganda lang pag tapos mo nang linisin... :P
    Hirap lang kasi ngayon, kakatamad, linis ka sa umaga, init ng araw...
    by noon uulan na, tapos paguwi mo putik ulit...

Meron din akong mga scratches before, I tried 3M na polisher, very good...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I won't reiterate what e46 mentioned anymore, coz it's true... what I can tell you is that there's absolutely NO WAY to prevent micro scratches. Everytime you TOUCH your paint, you'll introduce a micro scratch or two... it only depends whether the scratch is obvious enough to be annoying...

Black is the worse color for hiding imperfections coz the contrast of light and a dark surface is immense, kita agad yan...

To further explain what e46 said about cleaning motion... Swirls are nothing more than circular scratches. But unlike linear scratches, they're visible at ANY angle...

Black black black... Your best bet is to keep the wax/sealant layers thick at all times... Wash if you're in doubt (of whether the surface is clean)... It's a lot of hard work... But surely, it is also the most stunning color to view when perfect.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks a bunch
    e46boi, dianne and theveed... :D

Mini scratches