New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Two important factors. Your car is white so swirls aren't that visible, if you have a dark colored car I would'nt recommend that process, siguradong litaw lahat ng swirls diyan pag dark colored car or even a silver car, also Euro car (Benz, BMW, etc) manufacturers use a harder clearcoat than jap cars so it is more swirl resistant. I also had a white car before, swirls are not as visible as on a darker colored car. Swirls are one thing we really want to minimize specially with soft clear coats of jap cars, thats why all the measures and precautions mentioned in the detailing thread. I'm not discounting your experiment, obviously it works for you, just saying that it is not recommended for all.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    no LSP such as a wax or sealant to protect the paint and to preserve your work?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, this is not recommended for all. White is particularly good because it hides swirls and scratches. The thing that you don't see in the pic is the long scratch on the pasenger side door that goes down to the back. The problem with white paint is the blemishes and black heads or ingrained dirt, the black heads can be taken out by claying and the blemishes can be taken off by claying or tar remover, polisher, or rubbing compound. I've tried those but this has been the easiest process for me. I do care for my paint like all of us car owners here so i wouldn't think of damaging it with this process. I've read a lot about detailing, autopia.com is one of the better ones. The detailing thread is fine when you're starting out i guess.

I haven't put wax over it coz like i mentioned, it was a pain to get it off by hand. I'll probably wax it this weekend. I only applied Zymol quick detailer after the degreaser. The degreaser i used is actually a cleaner degreaser, i don't know how that is different with a normal degreaser. I'm thinking of buying the Mequire's NXT sealant coz i've heard a lot of good things abt it, and it lasts for months.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    its not a pain to do product removal if you actually apply it very thinly and wait for it to flash. and when you're removing you just skim off the top going around the vehicle.

if you're thinking about getting NXT, (its actually more of a cleaner wax than a sealant) be prepared for its dust attraction, BTW. matindi init natin sa Pilipinas that's why I would consider getting a sealant instead. White colored pa auto mo.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    also, I've tried those but this has been the easiest process for me.
    sometimes due to its convenience and "ease of use", some products can be very aggressive so apply with caution.

and like I said earlier, because of its strength, you may be removing more than you like.

in the same thought, consider using the least abrasive first before moving on to something stronger.

hope this helps.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I've applied the same wax before and i didn't have a problem wiping it off, i do know how thinly wax should be applied and how soon that it should be wiped off. The thing that i observed was that it was 10x more dificult to wipe the wax haze off after i wiped the body clean with a degreaser. The only way that i got to totally remove the haze was by using a wet MF. The NXT would be much easier to apply plus i don't have to buff it off. I'm thinking maybe a layer of Glaze would help with the shine too. I am waiting for my paint to peel off or become dull after i did all these non conventional detailing, but so far, i haven't seen anything like that.

I have used Tar remover on the whole body before too and that is even more abbrasive than the degreaser but nothing bad has happened to the paint.

I guess this process is for the cheap lazy ass detailers like me =).

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Kahapon ko lang natapos degrease yun bubong ko and so far i see no ill effects of it on the whole car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Degreaser Test