New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Mga chiefs.. Just want to ask if clear coating is necessary after you get your car from the dealership? If so, where can I have it done and for how much?

Just got my ride last Wednesday.. Steel Gray and I don't want to see swirls anytime soon..

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce_almighty View Post
    Mga chiefs.. Just want to ask if clear coating is necessary after you get your car from the dealership? If so, where can I have it done and for how much?

Just got my ride last Wednesday.. Steel Gray and I don't want to see swirls anytime soon..

Thanks in advance!
    Virtually all new cars today come out of the factory with two-step paint - a base coat and a clear coat. So your car already has a clear coat - no need to apply an additional layer. However, the clear coat will not prevent swirl marks - it will just keep the swirl marks from impacting the base coat. To minimise swirl marks, you need to use the proper materials and technique to maintain your car. The sticky thread newbie's guide to car appearance maintenance has a list of the materials you'll need, as well as a very detailed step by step guide on how to use them - it's a fantastic resource to get you started on detailing your car.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by umi001 View Post
    Virtually all new cars today come out of the factory with two-step paint - a base coat and a clear coat. So your car already has a clear coat - no need to apply an additional layer. However, the clear coat will not prevent swirl marks - it will just keep the swirl marks from impacting the base coat. To minimise swirl marks, you need to use the proper materials and technique to maintain your car. The sticky thread newbie's guide to car appearance maintenance has a list of the materials you'll need, as well as a very detailed step by step guide on how to use them - it's a fantastic resource to get you started on detailing your car.
    Thank you chief for your reply! An added knowledge for a noob like me...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    to answer your question,

no, it's not necessary... BUT

it would be a nice bonus

the clear coat will be thicker, so that it's better protected against the elements, and it can undergo more polishing sessions for scratch correction.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    is it neccesary?

well depende sa trip mo yan.

like mine matte black kotse ko so walang top coat of clear coat.

but since bago kotse mo by default eh meron yan.

swirls eh nasa nag lilinis ng kotse mo kung marunong at kung ano ginagamit.

Is Clear Coating necessary?