New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    tanong ko lang kung mainam ba na gumamit ng clay bar? actually, gusto kong matanggal yung mga swirl marks sa car. its a new car and wanted to make it shine, and used a car wax then i noticed na may mga swirl marks na. i used microfiber cloth sa pagpunas (was that the right cloth? lambot kasi so i used it; it was a new cloth).

i was just thinking of using zaino products but then, looking at their products and steps (which is marami-rami), the first thing to do is clean the car and then apply clay bar. ninipis ba ang clear coat ng auto? like buffing it? (similar ba ito with the buffing stuff na ginagamit ng mga talyer sa autoshop?)

anyways, thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    patanggal mo na lang yung swirl marks sa detailing shop para di ka na mahirapan. don't need claybar kung bago pa yung oto mo.. I'ved been using zaino for two years now and the first time you use it e marami talagang steps and application.. but padetail mo yung oto mo para matanggal yung swirlmarks then when you wash and wax your car avoid circular motion when wiping or cleaning your car. do side to side motion and when you wash your rags make sure not to use bleach and powder detergen. use micro fiber or 100 percent cotton. I don't use terry towel kasi masyadong manipis e

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    clay bar will pick up the last bit of dirt and things stuck to the paint that shampooing can't remove. (run your fingers down the paint after a rinsing from shampooing and you'll feel them). It'll remove wax and sealants too... but not "remove" swirl marks. You need to fill in those swirl marks in different ways... pwedeng i flat ulit yung clear coat with buffing of rubbing compound, or fill in kaagad with polish, glaze, or both. saka mo i proprotect w/ wax, sealant, or both.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some clarification on facts...

- New cars need to be clayed, you'll be extremely surprised in how rough they are.
    - Claying will NOT remove wax/sealant. It's not designed to nor is it capable of doing so.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    If Claying is mildly abrassive how can it be that the wax and sealant is not removed? Don't you have to rub the wax/selant first before you get to the ingrained dirt?

To get rid of swirls you need to have your paint polished, but that depends on how deep the swirls are.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You're referring to the different kind of abrasiveness.

A clay bar works on the surface utilizing lubricants for it to pick up anything NOT level with the surface it is working on.

Unlike compounds, polishes, sanding, where you use friction therefore leveling (reducing) the top-most layer, claying uses a pulling action wherein the sticky clay surface pulls the contaminants OUTWARD from the paint surface or whatever surface it is you're working on (waxed, sealed, varnished, etc).

Think of sanding/polishing/compounding as exfoliating the skin with loofah or scrubs, while using a clay is like using those blackhead strips on your nose... It'll only pickup whatever's not level to the general surface.

To a certain degree, some wax/sealant will be removed, but not primarily from the claying, but more from the fact that a qd and rubbing motion is used, which, even a water-wash will do the same reduction.

But claying will not strip surface protectants. It's not capable of doing so.

That's the nice thing about claying, prior to its invention and widespread use, the only way detailers/painters know how to remove surface contaminants like overspray, fallout, etc is to level the surface. With clay, that's not necessary.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    That's the nice thing about claying, prior to its invention and widespread use, the only way detailers/painters know how to remove surface contaminants like overspray, fallout, etc is to level the surface. With clay, that's not necessary.

*theeved: can we use the clay that's sold in the bookstore and just use QD as lubricant. or it will just do more harm than good

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lexus
    can we use the clay that's sold in the bookstore and just use QD as lubricant. or it will just do more harm than good
    hmm.. I think that's not possible.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    got problem sa salamin nang car ko madami na sya water marks, pwede ba sya maclay para matanggal

you could try it, but it depends on the severity of watermarks. Most likely if you left it on for several days baking under the sun you might need to have it polished.

clay bars...