New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    i've been told by a car wash personnel that buffing can damage the car's paint thats why they are not doing that kind of practice. how true is this? just want to verify if what he's saying is true.. hope you could give me some of your opinions. thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    if done improperly.. yes it can do damage to your paint. that's why there's buffer burns, swirls, holograms..

but you're also getting great results if a machine like a ROP or Rotary is used.
    but, there are numerous factors involved with this such as skill level / techniques, kind of pad used, speed, type of product...

pero IMO, mali ang sagot naman nung tinanungan mo. it's too general an answer. how can you expect to remove the paint defects if you don't polish them out? in that case, you have to abrade the paint by removing some of it to even that out.

you have to remove some of the paint to remove the defects.

or else, best bet mo is to cover it up and slap on some glaze but this is just cosmetic.
    Last edited by chain; February 10th, 2006 at 01:01 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Buffing Can damage a car's paint if done improperly, but will have great results if done properly.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    thanks dehadista for that info.. i'm not really into detailing stuff but i'm willing to learn some tips or techniques. one more question: is it advisable to buff the paint once in a while or everytime you'll have a carwash? or how often?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Please refer to the looong detailing thread from the start to understand the basics and the needs.

can buffing really damage your car's paint?