New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    to the detailing gurus,

can dust be "baked-into" a car's paint job?

the dust where i live in QC is quite fine and i have to leave my car out in the sun most of the time. i've noticed that there is some difficulty in hosing down the car, the dust just sticks on the paint despite a wax layer, leading me to ask my question. baka na bake in na yung dust sa paint job. i know dust if not treated well will lead to minute swirls, so this is a concern for me.

any ideas? and how to prevent and treat this as well? or matinding wash lang talaga katapat.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Dust baked on our ride's paint job? Hmmm. Theoretically, pwede. Baka during the painting process na expose yung paint sa alikabok, then the paint guy jusy whacked on the top coat. Pero..., pero wala naman sigurong matinong pintor ng kotse ang gagawa ng ganyan. Not unless, dehins nya alam ang kanyang ginagawa. O kaya, pintor ng nitso sa La Loma ang tumira.

First time I've heard of this type of problem.

You can't remove dirt and grim from your car buy just hosing it down, you'll need a car shampoo and a wash mitt to loosen up dirt and grim. Don't have to worry about baked in dust as long as you wash your car regularly and have it detailed at least once a year.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmmm... my observations on some newly waxed cars is that some of it attract dust talaga.. lots of factors involved on why it happens. ranging from static, buffing method to the kind of wax you use...etc.

as for baked-on dust...hmm..sounds like you need to clay your car before doing your regular car wash.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    thanks for your reply guys. i was just worried the exposure to the heat of the sun will "bake-in" the dust into the paint job.

iluvdetailing,
    siguro praning lang ako. i was hoping i could get most of the dust out before i use the wash mitt and shampoo to minimize contact of dust to the paint.

dehadista,
    im actually itching to have the car clayed/detailed but i have to do some minor body repairs muna or diretso hilamos na.

thanks again guys for your help.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    hello guys,

I have this theory that less carwash=less swirl marks.
    pano ba naman kasi. 2nd carwash ko palang e nagka swirls na agad ung car ko. Black kasi kaya obvious. Nadala ako.

I'm still in the process of looking for a good carwash in Pasig/ULTRA/Shaw area. Dun ako sa TWINS carwash pero parang pang Taxi at FX ung quality nila. minsan pa, may singsing ung boy.

please enlighten me on carwash and Dust. If you get a brand new car, then allow dust to settle for a long time (like a month), wouldn't it look just great if you wash it? (given that di ko naman binibilad and keep the interiors clean).
    dba kahit isang taon pa yan?

How often should I wash my car? I hate swirls!!!!!

help!

Quote Originally Posted by bad driver
    I have this theory that less carwash=less swirl marks.
    pano ba naman kasi. 2nd carwash ko palang e nagka swirls na agad ung car ko. Black kasi kaya obvious. Nadala ako.
    True, you can't really prevent swirl marks from appearing, you only minimize it by using the proper tools, even the running your fingers thru a dusty surface can cause swirlmarks. BTW what car is that? Is it a honda?

please enlighten me on carwash and Dust. If you get a brand new car, then allow dust to settle for a long time (like a month), wouldn't it look just great if you wash it? (given that di ko naman binibilad and keep the interiors clean).
    It depends, if you don't like the sight of a dusty car then you wash it often. Given our dusty conditions and weather, not wash a car for a month is not a good idea.

How often should I wash my car? I hate swirls!!!!!
    Again it depends on picky you are with your cars appearance. I wash my car 2 or 3 times a week, and wax around 2x a month.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    thanks ILD,

I really, really don't mind having a dusty car as long as deep inside, I know it's got a nice shiny, intact clearcoat under all the dust haha.

Re: Proper tools. so basically, I buy my own Chamois and let the carwach boy use it, right? and what about the sofa FOAM (upholstery) that most of them use? won't it scratch the surface?

So aside from kids drawing pokemon figures on my car, leaving it dusty for a month isn't really harmful to the paintjob right?

pano ba naman kasi, janitors do a sweep sa indoor parking ng building namin. your car will get dusty in 2 days even without leaving your garage!

thanks

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    bad driver: leaving your car dusty for a month will lead to more scratches and marring. Why? Whatever comes in contact with your dusty car will cause marring. Less car wash does not always mean less swirls. Even if you wash it 2-3 times a week using proper procedures, hindi naman gagasgas
    sofa foam is a big no-no. It doesn't have a pile that can draw away dirt and debris. Ang mangyayari parang ni-rub mo yung dirt sa surface. try to get a washmitt nalang. The chamois is ok as long as you only blot the surface. Pag may naipit na dumi pwede rin makagasgas.

You'll need couple of Washmitts, Waffle Weave Microfiber (more effective than chimois), couple of microfiber cloths for buffing waxed surfaces. Available yan sa bigberts well except for the washmitts w/c is available in True Value.

HTH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
"Baked-in" dust?