New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I was just wondering, kaya kaya nating gumawa ng replica ng Rolls Royce Phatom VI? Yung body lang. I was thinking if it's possible to copy the body of this and put an old 7-Series BMW or an old S-Class Benz underneath (for suspension, brakes, tranny and engine).

What do you think? Idea lang for general discussion.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pede kung sa pede... kaso do you know that there was a guy here in Angeles City na gumaya ng oldschool rolls royce way back in the late 70s.... the copy was quite good that Rolls Royce sent them a seize and deceist order to stop them from producing it.

ngayon rental vehicles na lang ang mga ito (I have seen at least to variants) for kasal.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by russpogi View Post
    I was just wondering, kaya kaya nating gumawa ng replica ng Rolls Royce Phatom VI? Yung body lang. I was thinking if it's possible to copy the body of this and put an old 7-Series BMW or an old S-Class Benz underneath (for suspension, brakes, tranny and engine).

What do you think? Idea lang for general discussion.
    Sorry, russ.
    :offtopic: OT ang replicas dito. This forum was created to discuss and promote OPVs only -
    [SIZE="4"]O[/SIZE]riginal
    [SIZE="4"]P[/SIZE]ilipino
    [SIZE="4"]V[/SIZE]ehicles
    ie, vehicles whose concept, design, and fabrication are done by Pinoys (although for now, we do tolerate non-Pinoy power trains).

But since you asked about bodyworks, let me take this opportunity to talk about our lateros. Hindi lang kaya ng Pinoy yan. KAYANG-KAYA PA! Our lateros are not just tinsmiths. A good number of them are really SCULPTORS. Konting masahe lang yan, ayos na. (NB: "Masahe" is the term they use when referring to shaping sheetmetal.)

The only drawbacks I see are the ff:

1. Our lateros are skilled in doing things "by eye", which means the physical presence of the original vehicle is required. They have to actually see it. Having been trained solely by practical apprenticeship, they severely lack skills in reading and translating from 2D plans and sketches to 3D. And even if they could visualize it from flat paper, scaling is another thing. They might not be able to accurately scale the drawings up to full-size hardware.

2. It is not advisable to fabricate the doors and windows. I have yet to see a local craftsman who can get all four doors perfectly, with perfect window alignment. It is better to get factory-built doors and remodel these accordingly.

3. Your replica might end up being on the heavy side. You see, the latter model RRs no longer have the classic curves of their predecessors, and flatter surfaces will tend to deform more easily, prompting the use of higher gauge sheetmetal for handcrafted replicas (aka "asembol").

Why, if I may ask, the RR Phantom VI?
    Ever hear of the RR Exellero?

But really, WHY COPY AT ALL?
    WHY NOT CUSTOM-BUILD AN ORIGINAL PINOY COUNTERPART?
    Just asking.
    Last edited by dprox; March 7th, 2008 at 09:30 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    *dprox,

Hindi lang kaya ng Pinoy yan. KAYANG-KAYA PA! Our lateros are not just tinsmiths. A good number of them are really SCULPTORS."
    I was talking to Napoleon Abueva last night at the college homecoming and I wanted to ask him if he would consider developing a design concept for one of our little projects here. Imagine a vehicle conceptualized by a National Artist!

I wasn't sure though if he would be flattered or insulted or even interested in the first place, so I never got the courage to ask him. Hmmm, maybe I should. What do you think?

Anyways, I gave your number to Ike Madamba. I told him about our project and he is interested in reserving Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur for his group.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    aba kung gusto mo ng original pinoy version nyan, baka maging hybrid ng jeepney at RR ang kakalabasan
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dprox View Post
    :offtopic: OT ang replicas dito. This forum was created to discuss and promote OPVs only
    under martial law yata ang tsikot

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hindi naman. OT lang kasi if replica iyon ay di na siya classified as original

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    A car shaped in the spirit of the Phantom VI, not an exact replica but one that borrows styling clues (such as a chrome vertical grille, flowing fenders, etc.), will for me be a welcome sight on our streets.

However - Is such a car relevant today when people prefer SUVs? Will there be a market for such a vehicle? Here are the possible target markets:

1) The super rich. It will be a car of CEOs, diplomats, and those in high government positions. Such a car should be made of the best materials and must be put together in the best quality. An old platform will not do. Engines should be V8, V10 or V12.

2) The fleet buyers. Used for ferrying hotel guests and can be used as a bridal car. The car must be easy to maintain and can be based on a more modest platform such as a Chrysler 300 or Toyota Crown Comfort http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Comfort (used as taxis in Japan, Hongkong and Singapore).

3) Enthusiasts of modest means. For people who love period styled vehicles but couldn't afford an original classic. The car can be based on lowered AUV / PHUV platforms. Body styles are not limited to limos and can include convertibles and boat tailed speedsters that recall the Dusenbergs and Auburns of long ago. Here is the Auburn Boattail Speedster replica, to me one of the most beautiful cars ever made (http://www.decorides.com/auburnbt.htm):

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    may point ka po dyan peron kelangang super slim yung mid section nung chassis para sumakto yung shape.

or as an alternative, pwede rin nating i-adopt yung other styling cues niya then apply it on a jeepney hehehe, parang walang nagbago

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    *dprox,

I was talking to Napoleon Abueva last night at the college homecoming and I wanted to ask him if he would consider developing a design concept for one of our little projects here. Imagine a vehicle conceptualized by a National Artist!

I wasn't sure though if he would be flattered or insulted or even interested in the first place, so I never got the courage to ask him. Hmmm, maybe I should. What do you think?

Anyways, I gave your number to Ike Madamba. I told him about our project and he is interested in reserving Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur for his group.
    Yesterday, I happened to be in Angono and so visited Totong Francisco (painter-grandson of National Artist Carlos "Botong" Francisco) and I brought up the idea of OPVs he totally related and roundly agreed, supporting the idea of preserving the indigenous automotive arts and crafts. We have parallel advocacies, medyo mas advanced lang sila sa atin.
    Why not ask Nap? If he doesn't show too much interest, his son might. I think Mulawin is into sculpture, too.
    BTW, if you're ever in Angono, make time to do the rounds of Filipino artists' studios and galleries. The Blanco Family Museum is fantastic!
    Last edited by dprox; March 10th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Rolls Royce Phantom VI Replica