New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Hello Guys. I need your help. I drive a 10-year old Civic. The temperature gauge shoots up if I don't accelerate. It even shot up to the red line already yet there is water in the radiator and engine is not overheating (no steam, etc). The gauge goes back to normal is the car is steady at 2000rpm. At Idle, I have to pump gas at 2000rpm for the gauge to goes down. What are the possible issues? Thanks very much

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    could be, most probably your engine temp sensor going bad or a loose/dirty socket connection. In most engine you could find it near the intake hose of the radiator going to the water pump. Pull out the socket connection and see if your temp drops to zero.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am also thinking there might be some air inside the water jacket. The bubble of air got temporarily stuck at the sensor resulting in a sudden increase in detected temperature.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Sir, thanks very much for the quick response. I've noted what you advise and will take my car to my old reliable talyer to have the engine temp sensor checked. thanks!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    thanks all for the help. Regarding the air in the water jacket, what should be done to rectify this?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
    thanks all for the help. Regarding the air in the water jacket, what should be done to rectify this?
    Simply running the engine (temp at normal operating level) with the radiator cap open and refilling the water until no bubbles appear.

BTW, make sure the car is on level ground.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    you may also want to check-out the thermostat and e because these may get busted or not read signals correctly if there is a lot of buildup around those things.

hth

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    *Ghosthunter - if I ask my talyer to flush out the radiator and refill with new coolant/water mix, will that solve the issue? thank you so much for your help.

*baludoy - sige, i will have the thermostat check din. but it seems I've been getting responses even from friends that baka nga may air sa water jacket.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    *Ghosthunter - if I ask my talyer to flush out the radiator and refill with new coolant/water mix, will that solve the issue? Your DIY suggestion seems easy for a girl like me to do, siguro I can try it out nga first thank you so much for your help.

*baludoy - sige, i will have the thermostat check din. but it seems I've been getting responses even from friends that baka nga may air sa water jacket.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCat View Post
    *Ghosthunter - if I ask my talyer to flush out the radiator and refill with new coolant/water mix, will that solve the issue?

Your DIY suggestion seems easy for a girl like me to do, siguro I can try it out nga first thank you so much for your help.

You can ask your talyer to do it for you. They'll probably not charge you anything for it.

When doing DIY method, just don't open the radiator cap while the engine is very hot. The hot water will burst out and you might get steam burns.

When the engine is sufficiently cool, you can do this and get the engine warmed up for the coolant to flow around.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 12th, 2010 at 07:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Temp gauge shoots up to 4/4 but engine not overheating