New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Thanks non-vtec for the additional info. Now I have a lot of homework to do. I just hope the engine doesn't die while in use. Thanks again guys.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Just an update (for sharing purposes and for future reference as well to those who might experience this problem), I went to several auto-electrical shops and they said:
    - battery needs replacement
    - broken alternator

I went to buy the easiest part, the battery. Voila! It still doesn't work. Though the most sensible explanation was from a battery shop. He said that the battery is already busted, and the alternator is not charging correctly. From the voltmeter, the reading was 14V with A/C on, and it drops down to 12V with HL and A/C turned on. That's a problem as per the mechanic. It should stay at 14V even with all electronics turned on. His explanation was the alternator is not charging the battery/supplying enough current anymore. Nag-aagawan daw, kaya pati yung dashboard lights, nag-d-dim with HL turned on. And the reason why the engine conked out after an hour drive in traffic is that the A/C and HL are getting current from the battery that is not charging. So eventually, it was drained. Now I have a new battery, it would take a longer time to get drained, but the problem is still there: the alternator.

I also asked what needs to be done to the alternator, the auto-electrician told me that it needs replacement. It can be repaired/rewinded, but not the carbon repair. If there's a problem with the carbon, the battery dashboard light indicator will always turn on. But that's not the case for me. It was never on. Now I asked them to repair the alternator, but they prefer the surplus replacement and quoted me Php 4.5K.

Any comments fellow tsikoteers on the surplus alternator? Is it better than a repaired alternator? Is 4.5K a fair amount of parts and labor cost? Can you suggest an auto-electrical shop that you know or trust that repairs/replaces alternators? Thanks again in advance guys!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Source your surplus alternator from mardenrey sir...

Sent from my C2305 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Imo buying surplus alternator is better than repairing it..

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Jedi,

Same tayo ng symptoms and the problem was the Alternator. I had it fixed sa isang Alternator Shop sa may San Marcelino Street, Ermita, Manila.

Ganon din problem. Di na sya nag cha charge.

Good thing my Alternator was still repaired.
    Nakita nila na busted lang yong isang Diode. They replaced all Diodes and Exciters in the process kasi di na maibalik yong connection if they would not replace the Diodes and Exciters na di naman sira.

Cost me P2000 for the alternator repair and another 850 don sa nagbaklas and nagbalik ng alternator ko.

I would say this option is still better than getting a surplus.
    Pag surplus, alam naman nating reconditioned yon. Nasira na yon at inayos lang nila.
    Di mo alam ano naging sira non at anong repair ang ginawa.

At least yong ginawa sa akin, alternator ko pa din yon. Nagpalit lang ng diodes.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn manikis View Post
    Source your surplus alternator from mardenrey sir...

uy thanks sir glenn. tinanong ko nga yung sinabi mo about sa carbon brush pero hindi pa nga tinitingnan ng auto-electrician yung alternator, walang hesitation na sinabing surplus replacement agad. hanap din ako ng 2nd opinion. parang hindi ako tiwala sa pinagtanungan ko. tska baka hindi na ibalik yung alternator ko kung bibili ako ng surplus.
    Quote Originally Posted by nels76 View Post
    Jedi,

Same tayo ng symptoms and the problem was the Alternator. I had it fixed sa isang Alternator Shop sa may San Marcelino Street, Ermita, Manila.

Ganon din problem. Di na sya nag cha charge.

Good thing my Alternator was still repaired.
    Nakita nila na busted lang yong isang Diode. They replaced all Diodes and Exciters in the process kasi di na maibalik yong connection if they would not replace the Diodes and Exciters na di naman sira.

Cost me P2000 for the alternator repair and another 850 don sa nagbaklas and nagbalik ng alternator ko.

I would say this option is still better than getting a surplus.
    Pag surplus, alam naman nating reconditioned yon. Nasira na yon at inayos lang nila.
    Di mo alam ano naging sira non at anong repair ang ginawa.

At least yong ginawa sa akin, alternator ko pa din yon. Nagpalit lang ng diodes.
    buti na-repair pa sa'yo sir nels. sana nga ma-repair din yung akin. i'm open for a surplus replacement or a repair. tska depende rin sa price difference ng dalawa.

thanks sir nels for sharing the address of the shop.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    If V drops below charging Voltage(13.8V) when loaded, it means the alternator is not pumping much electrons into your electrical system. It could be due to the simpliest things like poor grounding contacts alternator needs cleaning, brushes are worn/dirty giving poor contact, or the regulator/ exciter diodes are shot.

I'd say, pulling the alternator and having it refurbished/reprocessed at the alternator shop would cost you less..
    Doing replacement route would cost you more in less time -mechanic would normally chose this route to save him time in troubleshooting, he gets job done for less time at the expense of the customer (ala casa style).

It will depend on your budget and time which route to take, at least now its clear that the alternator is the problem.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    nice, thanks sir 12vdc for the explanation. so that pretty much sums it up. sige sir, i'll have the alternator repaired nalang. kung wala na talaga, then tska nalang ako mag-surplus.

aside from mardenrey and the shop suggested by sir nels, any trustworthy shop/s that you guys want to add mara mapagtanungan din?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I'd go for surplus na lang. At least its OEM spec pa. Just look for a fresh unit. Problem kasi with recon, is that we're not sure how long will the other components will last. Given the driving conditions here in Manila na sobrang extreme. At least a gently used alternator could last longer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12