New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Good morning fellow tsikoteers.. hingi lang ako ng tips on how to resolve my car's cooling system problems. several months ago, my car experiences an increase in temp after 2 hours of driving.. regular yun from QC to laguna, paghinto ko bago pumasok ng gate, tumataas na temp up to 3/4. after checking under the hood, i noticed na puno ng coolant yung reservoir bottle tapos may bubbles pa na nagooverflow. then right after the engine cooled down a bit, i checked the radiator and halos wala nang tubig. after several diagnosis from different mechanics, first thing i did was to replace the reservoir bottle kasi medyo loose na yung thread nung cap. 2nd was to change the thermoswitch kasi sabi ng mechanic matagal raw bago umikot yung fan, then kung iikot man, about 5-10 seconds lang. still, those two remedies didnt solve the overheating problem. 3rd thing i did was to have my radiator overhauled and had the radiator cap replaced as well. after this, nawala na yung problem. this was done last january lang. im sure the overhaul somehow contributed something to "lessen" the problem kasi di na nagbabawas ng tubig yung radiator unlike before. di na rin nagooverheat when driving from QC to laguna.

But then last night, i drove from Roxas Blvd to Laguna, then when i stopped to get gas, while i was in queue, i noticed na tumaas nanaman yung temperature. so i turned the engine off and checked my car's cooling system, and ayun, ganun nanaman yung problem. nagooverflow yung water sa reservoir bottle. i didnt check, but im sure wala na masyadong water sa radiator. the only difference from last night compared to the onter nights where i drove for at least 2 hours was the heavy traffic. madalas kasi late at night ako bumabyahe from QC to laguna, pero last night nakipagsabayan ako sa rush hour.

another thing i noticed, bumababa yung temp to normal when the car is moving, then rises nga when idle. my thoughts about this is yung air na tumatama sa radiator serves as a cooling factor to it.

ano kaya REAL culprit sa problem na to? thermostat, cylinder head gasket and waterpump nlang natitirang pwedeng maging problema. i checked this morning, and wala nman ako nakikitang water leak na pwedeng manggaling sa waterpump.

possible kaya na sira yung thermostat kaya nagmamalfunction na rin yung bagong palit na thermoswitch? which results to the radiator fan not working properly. i also checked this morning lang, working and umiikot naman yung fan. im just not sure if its being turned on when its supposed to be spinning.

looking forward to your responses.. sana hindi cylinder head gasket yung prob.. hehehe.. medyo mahal parts and labor nun eh.. but if the symptoms above matches sa problem ng failing cyl head gasket, do tell.. pa include na rin ng estimated cost for parts and labor.. civic ESi yung car.. thanks in advance...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    hey bro ganyan din ang prblem ng dalawang ride ko L300 & PREGIO yung pregio pag natatrafic lang tumataas ang temp gauge pero bago tumaas mga 30 min idle sa trafic then pag tumaas na mag aacelerate na lang ako ng 2k rpm para bumaba ,, yung L300 KO naman pag binibirit or lumagpas na ng 90kmh tumataas sa gitna pero pag uphil ako like tagaytay tapos tanghaling tapat halos 3/4 ang taas nya but pag binagalan ko bumabalik sa normal temp gauge yung sa L3 ko halos di nababawasan ang water reservior pero ang radiator ubos palagi ang tubig

hmmm di ko din masagot ang tanong mo dahil me problem din akong ganyan minerge ko lang ang tanong ko din para makta ng ibang tsikoters

btw sir pag ba tumataaas ang temp gauge mo ilang minute or ilang oras na dapat naka idle para tumaas?

sana masagot ng ibang tsikoters ang problem natin?

how much nga pala ang papalit ng thermoswitch pwede ba ipatangal na lang yun para laging buhay ang blower?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check engine fan if it does work normally, mabilis ang ikot. palinis radiator, check radiator cap if it still seals. if all else fails baka sa head gasket na yan. pag may leak between your combustion chamber and water gallery the compression pushes water out of the radiator hence the bubbles that you see when your remove the radiator cap. water should just circulate/flow when your view it in the filler hole. pag pinaalis mo thermoswitch palaging naka on engine fan mo which would reduce your fan life to half and will increase your fuel cnsumption snce your engine would take longer to reach its operating temp.
    Last edited by afrasay; April 8th, 2009 at 10:58 AM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Baka yung fan ng kotse mo ang amg problema (hindi na umiikot). Theory ko lang kasi ito-kapag moving ka, air tends to move towards your radiator area kaya parang ginagawa nya trabaho ng fan. Pag idle ka, walang hangin na pumapasok which explains why the temperature rises only during idle.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    you have to find an auto tech to properly diagnose your problem not just a mechanic or electrician

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ilan ba aux fan ng car mo sir?

yung sa akin. may isang aux fan na may thermostat switch and may isang naka tap ang power sa aircon na automatic mag on kapag inon mo ang aircon.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    you have to find an auto tech to properly diagnose your problem not just a mechanic or electrician
    +1 ako dito. Try niyo kaya sir pagawa sa CASA. Kaya nga lang medyo mahal. Before ako naman kapag nakaon ang aircon dun tumataas ang temp. Pero pag nakaoff, normal ulit. Nung pinagawa ko sa CASA, 27k inabot. Pero.....sulit naman. Kasi di na nagooverheat kotse ko. Oh BTW that was around 2004

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Most likely you have an intermittent loose connection on the auxiliary fan. Try to bypass the sockets and observe. Dapat pag above normal temperature mag on ang auxialiary fan, if not, then that is where you start looking.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    wickednasty, try simulating the overheat while parked in your garage. Kahit slightly higher lang than normal temp level (no need to overheat all the way). Then check for the following:

While still running quickly verify if the radiator fan is running (not the aircon condenser fan). If not - then possible faulty fan motor na or faulty connection.

If fan works, shut off engine then pour some water on top of your radiator and at the exit hose going back to the engine (lower portion). If top of radiator is hot (water evaporates quickly) and the hose below is not - possible na it's the thermostat.

Just to note, normally if the thermostat is the one defective, It should cause an overheat, also in highway speeds. So unless it was overheating while in motion, and you just noticed it when you stopped, then hopefully it's just a fault somewhere with your radiator fan.

Hope you find the problem.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    i observed the car over the weekend, and based sa mga recommendations nyo, eto yung mga napansin ko...

- radiator fan turns on 5-10 minutes after the temp gauge reaches the normal engine temp, but stays on for about less than a minute, then shuts off.

- sure ako na walang leak sa reservoir bottle kasi bagong palit lang yun.

- thermoswitch is also 100% working since its been replaced just recently. (less than a month pa lang)

- car doesnt overheat while in motion, tmataas lang temp when idle, e.g. while on queue sa toll gate, filling up for gas, before entering the gate, then the temp goes down again when in motion na ulit.

question: is it safe to say na pwedeng mag malfunction yung thermoswitch pag faulty yung thermostat? because im thinking about replacing the thermostat, per sabi kasi nung mekaniko nung nagpa overhaul ako ng radiator, ok pa raw yung thermostat at ang basis nya eh bukas raw ito pagdating ko - demonstated it by running water from a hose through the radiator with the upper hose taken off the thermostat and water was overflowing out of it, then after matapos yung overhaul, closed na yung thermostat ( he did the same overflowwing thinggamajig but this time there was no overflowing of H2O).

i know mura lang thermostat but i guess nakaka asar lang kse yung isa isa kang magpapalit ng parts na incorrectly diagnosed. ok pa pala tapos pinalitan na, just like me getting an overhaul dahil 100% sure DAW yung mechanic na yun yung cause, then before that, replaced the thermoswitch dahil yun lang daw reason kung bakit nauubos yung water sa radiator, dahil di umiikot yung fan when it should be... magkano nga pala pag sa CASA ko magpapadiagnose?

thanks for all the help....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Rising temp during idle