New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    is it normal for a resonator's pipe-line-in twice or even more hotter than the pipe-line-out?

nasisira/clogged ba ang resonator?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's normal for it to be hotter before... the hot gases expand and cool inside the resonance chamber. But for how much hotter it shoud be, I don't know.

You can knock on the resonator and shake it, to see if it sounds loose or rattly... otherwise, the only way to know if the resonator's busted is to take it out.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I see thanks sir niky.

does that mean, you have to take it out? because shaking while the resonator is attached won't do much?

do mild-clogging resonator commonly happens?

and another question, what's the idea for a ride to have two muffler/resonator?
    Last edited by rion; January 11th, 2008 at 01:37 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The resonator absorbs some of the noise from the exhaust before it gets to the muffler... having just one or the other will make the car slightly louder... and slightly more powerful.

A resonator is basically a straight tube with holes in it, leading to the resonance chamber (the body of the resonator)... sound waves travel through the holes and into the resonance chamber. There are two ways a resonator can go bad... it could be that it's a glass-packed resonator and that the packing-material is rotting or disintegrating... this will make it noisier, but not necessarily stuck up... or the welding on the resonator tube is coming apart, which could lead to the packing material escaping out through your tail-pipe. This will also cause turbulence inside the resonator, which you will feel as a loss of power.

If this is a catalytic converter, though, and not a resonator... that can go bad, which will cause a loss of power, and cause restriction in the exhaust.

In other words, if you don't feel a loss of power... don't worry about it.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    thanks sir niky, I'm just invistigating why it's engine is hot compared to other same rides. though temperature readings are normal.

with comes to power, I'm not sure because it is bit worn out a/t. and the engine heat issue has been there longer before I started to learn how to drive it.
    Last edited by rion; January 13th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    masisira din yung reso pero when will depend on the quality of the reso.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, resos naturally wear out... stock resos will probably last a few years, while stainless ones, not quite as long. You really need to put it up on a lift and knock on it to find out.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    the ride is 12 yrs old na.

will have it checked soon. thanks guys.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if it lasted that long ok na yun!

resonator's heat