New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    I have this Kia Sorento 2009 2.5L EX VGT

Last month, I had overheating problems. Turns out the repaired radiator had leaks already. It's still the original aluminum radiator with bronze upper tank. It was repaired 2 years ago.

I had it repaired for 700 pesos. Installed it back but still, it had leaks. I had it repaired again for 700. After a week, it still had leaks on different parts of the tank. The seams are leaking. Frustrated, I went to a better radiator repair shop and had it repaired for 1500 with overhaul. But this time, I asked for a warranty. The staff gave me one month warranty.

Upon checking kanina, it had a minor leak again, probably a pinhole leak somewhere in the radiator core (sa taas banda were the fins and the tank meet). I'm planning to bring it again to the shop na nag provide sa akin ng warranty.

If this will still leak, I have 4 options.

Option A:

Look for an aftermarket/replacement radiator. I live in Davao City. I scoured every parts store locally and they do not have one for my unit. I'v heard of Evercool brand but they don't have one also for my unit so they need a sample to make one. Since I'm from Davao City, I don't have the time to ship my radiator to Manila, and the cost will be huge.

Option B:

Go to CASA. I called and their estimate is 27k for a brand new original radiator. I'm willing to spend up to 30,000. Since this is original, I can be assured of a problem free radiator. Downside is, if the part is available in Manila warehouse, waiting time will be maybe a week. But if the radiator will be ordered from Korea, it will be 45 days.

Option C:

Fabricate locally. I found a radiator shop that will fabricate a new radiator for me for 12,000 pesos. I think it's very expensive for a fabricated radiator. I'm better off buying a replacement radiator instead, but the issues on Option A exist.

Option D:

Recore. I do not know if this is the same with fabricate. From what I read, a recore is having a new radiator core but the top and bottom tanks will be recycled/reused. I have no idea how much this costs.

So what are your thoughts? Which option is the best for me?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    By the way, this is the picture of my radiator prior to the repair. What I hate the most is the time consuming tanggal kabit procedure. I'm getting pissed already.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    aluminum core radiators require special equipment and skill, to repair.

if i were me, i'd look for a ready-made radiator for my car. ("peerless.")
    and i'd probably look for a copper core radiator. it's easier to repair.
    if there's no ready-made, i'd ask someone to fabricate one.
    re-core is an option. get a copper core replacement.
    add more rows? only if it will fit.

the copper versus aluminum radiator pros and cons are in the internet, sir. peruse them and have a headache. heh heh.

good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 21st, 2018 at 12:22 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Actually they already repaired one of the sides of my aluminum radiator. Yung sa upper part merong butas. The solder is black. I don't know what it's called. Priority ko talaga is cost. Almost 10 years narin tong sasakyan. 110,000km on the odo na. No problems aside sa radiator. One last chance tomorrow, I'll bring it back sa pinaayos ko hopefully it will be fixed for good.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Galvanic compatibility of aluminum and copper

Ask any knowledgeable electrician, they will tell you it is bad to make electrical connections between aluminum and copper even when it is in dry applications. Let alone with a pseudo electrolyte, water or anti freeze/ coolant.

It wouldn't hurt if you install a grounding wire between the radiator and the battery negative post.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; March 21st, 2018 at 07:42 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Try to inquire with Seiring or Goodgear, they specialize in Korean parts. They have fb.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suysuy View Post
    Actually they already repaired one of the sides of my aluminum radiator. Yung sa upper part merong butas. The solder is black. I don't know what it's called. Priority ko talaga is cost. Almost 10 years narin tong sasakyan. 110,000km on the odo na. No problems aside sa radiator. One last chance tomorrow, I'll bring it back sa pinaayos ko hopefully it will be fixed for good.
    "if you do the same thing, without changing the conditions, you should expect to have the same results."

that radiator is old. the metal is already thin in many parts. no sooner that you repair one leak, that another one will appear.
    replace it, sir.
    my opinion.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 21st, 2018 at 09:08 AM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If you can't find quality replacement, I'd rather go with orig kahit mahal.

Para hindi ka na pabalikbalik.

I agree with the doc din hehe.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Agree.
    In aircraft maintenance, there is what we call TCTO or time change technical order. Your car is no exception that after five years and you have paid your car loan, that the vehicle start to need more maintenance cost. The radiator is included in the list of five year items granting the corrosive environment where the car is operated. Anything that goes beyond five years is a bonus. Retire your ageing radiator. You'll save more money that way

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    With parts like radiator, I simply would not bother repairing it. Too much headache. I'll just order OEM which will assure years and years of headache free. Just have your old radiator repaired while waiting for your new one. It's one month warranty anyway, so by the time it leaks again, your new one arrives. You'll be so happy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Radiator Problem: Repair, Fabricate, or replace with OEM?