New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    im losing water in my radiator including the overflow bottle"??" reservoir

i cant see any leaks, all caps and hoses secured. all fans are working. one a 90min drive to makati temp usually jumps to 95deg in traffic but gradually lowers back to the normal 90deg. but it has never reached 100deg. and it hasnt overheated yet (even with the replaced broken radiatior since it was detected while parked and not on the road).

toyota corolla gli, 1996 MT. using a 50/50 water/prestone mix
    replaced radiator with a surplus one about 8mos ago.

could i have a blocked radiator, it being a surplus? were does the water go if its not leaking or even evaporating. no traces i can detect. a faulty temp gauge perhaps, reading at a minus 10deg?

i want to know possibilities and try some DIY, before going to a mechanic

thanks

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt

i cant see any leaks, all caps and hoses secured. all fans are working. one a 90min drive to makati temp usually jumps to 95deg in traffic but gradually lowers back to the normal 90deg. but it has never reached 100deg. and it hasnt overheated yet (even with the replaced broken radiatior since it was detected while parked and not on the road).

could i have a blocked radiator, it being a surplus? were does the water go if its not leaking or even evaporating. no traces i can detect. a faulty temp gauge perhaps, reading at a minus 10deg?

thanks
    Try first to replace your radiator cap

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt

thanks
    -try mo pa overhaul ng rad mo baka barado. cheap lng nman ata yan
    -try mo lagyan ang water mismo sa radiator and check again the temp
    -try mo tignan ang ang radiator cap mo baka mayroon leak
    -try mo check hoses if may leak in the morning na hindi pa umaandar ang engine
    -try mo tignan ang fuse ng fan kung mag automatic bah

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    baka nag tatags na pala sa water pump mo hinde mo lang napapansin ganyan kasi nangyari sa oto ko dati ehh!

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    thanks, for the replies

checked them all. the only constant indication something is wrong is the fluctuating temp upto 95deg. especially after stopping on a red light but after a minute it will return to normal. and temp can go as low as 80deg when running continously. even left it idling with aircon on for nearly 20mins, no overheat temp at a normal 90deg. no/minimal loss of water in the resevoir.

the big loss of water in the radiator has not repeated itself. (i discovered it after the car was park for 2 days)

most likely something is not right with the radiator since its a surplus,

but now; will flush the radiator again using appropriate chemicals and use 1 liter of prestone coolant for the whole mix ration. maybe that will un clog the radiator and at the same time prevent boilovers.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    check for discoloration around the water pump. baka meron kakulay ng coolant mo.. baka maliit lang yung leak at nag-evaporate agad due to heat ng engine.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    First change your radiator cap... especially if you have not done so in the past 3 years. Next check your water pump... if' it's leaking it'll only leak when the engine is running so do a visual for any water dripping (other then the a/c) with the engine operational.

If you have checked on both then it's time to look at other possibilities but there's a more than 50% chance it's with the rad cap being worn out already and releasing water/coolant under pressure.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Same goes for hoses... they may not look like they are leaking at rest or idle, but may sprout pinpoint leaks under heavy load.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    same here. leaking hose nakita ko under the hose talaga pero morning lng mas makikita if nka coolant ka. green

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Kumuha ka ng puting papel, itapat mo sa tambutso mo pag naka idling. Pag may talsik na itim i check mo kung basa o moist. pag basa malamang cylinder head gasket. ibig sabihin pumapasok ang tubig sa makina.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Radiator Losing Water [Merged]