New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dumschmuck View Post
    Id get the aluminum aftermarket if the budget would allow it.

wag lang yung sobrang laki na masyado from stock specs ha.
    What if you can get a radiator that drops in and gives up up to 3x the performance?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    How much better perceived is a product with a 12 month warranty than one with only 6 month and one with none?
    of course we all like the longer 12 month warranty. but are we willing and/or able to pay the extra money for it? you simply can not get blood from rock, no matter how hard you squeezed it.. so, we compromise.
    i came to my answer in the questionnaire, based on the first part of statement C, after it was tempered by the second part of the same statement. i simply want the most radiator for my money..
    now... if anyone can provide us an analysis of radiators vis a vis cost, lifespan, and warranty... i'm all ears.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 20th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Normally the argument is that a manufacturer will only warrant their product relative to their average mean failure rate.

If a product has a %age of failure that falls within set period by the manufacturer they will only go as far as that.

Meaning if the part fails shortly after the warranty period, you're pretty much screwed yet the manufacturer still has a pretty high quality rating.

Otherwise a really good product doesn't cost a manufacturer that much more to warrant statistically.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A good radiator should have an average lifespan of several years, but replacement radiators are often put into cars with already compromosed cooling systems. The warranty means the manufacturers expect your busted-ass vehicle to overheat again within the year.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I
    These are the typical scenarios for a typical 8-10 year old car in replacing a radiator (it may be applicable for other parts as well):

A) Replacement Aluminum Radiator from China P4500 with no warranty.
    B) OEM Aluminum replacement radiator P13000 with 6 months warranty.
    C) Local aftermarket Copper Brass replacement radiator P8500 with 6 months warranty.
    D) Local aftermarket Copper Brass replacement radiator P6500 with no warranty.
    E) Surplus radiator "covertion" P2500 with service warranty.
    F) Premium aftermarket replacement radiator P13,000 with 1 year warranty.

So the question is, what do folks here consider more important?
    In our market, price is still a big factor. I'd readily go for a surplus replacement on our old cars anytime, especially when i see a fresh OEM radiator stocked at the tindahan.

Amongst the choices, although the China aluminum radiators are intriguing, it's still something i may not trust to put on my ride without a thorough shakedown. Performance is also not a priority for me since my car will not see any excessive weight loads, serious modifications, or track use. Thus, i'd go with one that's affordable, meets the OEM spec requirement and offers even just a limited warranty, which is the either the local copper brass replacement w/ 6-month warranty or the surplus radiator w/ service warranty.

One reason why Evercool became a recommended brand was because it offered a viable OEM replacement alternative to surplus and your tabing-kalye radiator repair shops, with warranty.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    aluminum radiators have plastic tops coz aluminum is expensive.. if you want to have a aluminum top, you will increase its thickness to hold the pressure.. notice that aluminum radiators have steel clips around. the drain plug will pop in case of over pressure...

aluminum is also a good heat sink compared to copper.. but copper is more sturdy than aluminum

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    aluminum radiators have plastic tops coz aluminum is expensive.. if you want to have a aluminum top, you will increase its thickness to hold the pressure.. notice that aluminum radiators have steel clips around. the drain plug will pop in case of over pressure...

aluminum is also a good heat sink compared to copper.. but copper is more sturdy than aluminum
    Actually aluminum tops aren't that expensive but for it to provide as much strength as a plastic tank it needs to be thicker. Moreover, the cost of welding that is more expensive than crimping.

The drain plug is screwed on, it will not pop. You have the overflow to the reservoir to take care of overpressure. Plastic tanks pop primarilty because of clogging.

And sorry dude, but in this universe, Copper outperforms aluminum in thermal conductivity by a factor of 1.7. It is also more corrosion resistant.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    How much better perceived is a product with a 12 month warranty than one with only 6 month and one with none?

Unfortunately, perception about longer warranties does play in the local mindset. When they intend to sell the vehicle
    as soon as it is paid up. Most cars here do not see extensive use like in other countries where you have to cross great open
    spaces just to go to work.

I've always liked your posts by the way, seems like straight out of a training manual. The passion is there.

As much we would like to maintain our vehicles like a Piper. Restrictive trade policies have left most car owners
    to the speed and guile of independent services providers with inadequate training, equipment and supplies.

Being a Certified Mechanic/Business owner is hard here. As just the sight of european cars being repaired in your
    garage drives away japanese car owners. (the bulk of the business)

As for me I always choose to get it done right.

instead of getting it done.
    Last edited by mark_t; November 30th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_t View Post
    Unfortunately, perception about longer warranties does play in the local mindset. When they intend to sell the vehicle
    as soon as it is paid up. Most cars here do not see extensive use like in other countries where you have to cross great open
    spaces just to go to work.

I've always liked your posts by the way, seems like straight out of a training manual. The passion is there.

As much we would like to maintain our vehicles like a Piper. Restrictive trade policies have left most car owners
    to the speed and guile of independent services providers with inadequate training, equipment and supplies.

Being a Certified Mechanic/Business owner is hard here. As just the sight of european cars being repaired in your
    garage drives away japanese car owners. (the bulk of the business)

As for me I always choose to get it done right.

instead of getting it done.
    Thank you.

Sometimes I feel that manuals need to be rewritten. Heck re-drawn for simpler maintenance applications.

Import restriction on Honda parts is the most prevalent one. It is anti-consumer and is in itself an inefficient economic practice.

Though overall, it is difficult to find technical talent around here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Question:  How much more will you pay?