New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Mga fellow tsikoteers, pa-help naman.

Corolla xl 1997 ang ride ko... from sm rosario going to imus, at kapa-park ko lng ng oto sa bahay namin, biglang lumabas sa ilalim yung maraming tubig na greenish yellow, sabay umusok na, at namatay na ang makina. After several hours, binuksan ko yung hood and I found a heavily cracked radiator (around 3 inches). Can this still be repaired? Was it caused by the non-funvtioning fan?

Thanks...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fredzkii View Post
    Mga fellow tsikoteers, pa-help naman.

Corolla xl 1997 ang ride ko... from sm rosario going to imus, at kapa-park ko lng ng oto sa bahay namin, biglang lumabas sa ilalim yung maraming tubig na greenish yellow, sabay umusok na, at namatay na ang makina. After several hours, binuksan ko yung hood and I found a heavily cracked radiator (around 3 inches). Can this still be repaired? Was it caused by the non-funvtioning fan?

Thanks...
    Depends on which part of the radiator was cracked. If it was the upper or lower end caps, it can be repaired but in my opinion, you would be better off buying a surplus unit.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks ghosthunter.
    The upper part was cracked. For the mean time, I put gladiator on it, just to stop coolant from flowing ut of the radiator, but it is still leaking. I did it so I can get the car to the shop whenever I have the pyesa. I’m planning to have the upper part converted to “tanso”, and the radiator overhauled, or perhaps buy a surplus as you advised. I don’t know any radiator shop in Imus that converts plastic radiator top to tanso.
    I found a surplus fan motor and blade in Liemans, but I’m still eyeing for a new one, that is, whole assembly of radiator fan that fits onto it.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fredzkii View Post
    Thanks ghosthunter.
    The upper part was cracked. For the mean time, I put gladiator on it, just to stop coolant from flowing ut of the radiator, but it is still leaking. I did it so I can get the car to the shop whenever I have the pyesa. I’m planning to have the upper part converted to “tanso”, and the radiator overhauled, or perhaps buy a surplus as you advised. I don’t know any radiator shop in Imus that converts plastic radiator top to tanso.
    I found a surplus fan motor and blade in Liemans, but I’m still eyeing for a new one, that is, whole assembly of radiator fan that fits onto it.
    The reason why I suggested a surplus radiator instead of repair is the copper replacement cap on top will just cause the bottom plastic cap to rupture in the near future. Also there is no guarantee the copper end caps would be a good seal enough to keep pressure within the radiator.

In the end, it would just be less hassle and maybe even cheaper to replace the entire radiator with an original surplus unit.

I have a 1999 Corolla GLi and I already have had two plastic radiators crack on me at nearly the same location (top cap near the filler). Finding a good condition surplus radiator in Banawe isn't hard nor that expensive.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Well said... thank you very much ghosthunter. I will heed to your suggestion. God bless.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    the purpose of the plastic fittings is for them to give way pag tuma-as na ang pressure sa cooling system due to defective cooling fans.
    You can sstill use your car kaya lang, hwag mo lang takpan ang radiator cap para di mag build up ang pressure. baon ka nga lang ng tubig to refill. Good for 10-15 km travel.
    Last time nag papalit ako ng gli radiator it cost about 2,900 php (6 years ago, till now going strong pa rin ang radiator). so methink it is not a big dent to our finances kung palita mo na lang ng replacement. It will save you a lot of grief later.n

7. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The reason why I suggested a surplus radiator instead of repair is the copper replacement cap on top will just cause the bottom plastic cap to rupture in the near future. Also there is no guarantee the copper end caps would be a good seal enough to keep pressure within the radiator.

In the end, it would just be less hassle and maybe even cheaper to replace the entire radiator with an original surplus unit.

I have a 1999 Corolla GLi and I already have had two plastic radiators crack on me at nearly the same location (top cap near the filler). Finding a good condition surplus radiator in Banawe isn't hard nor that expensive.
    Sorry Sir, Im respect your opinon but I'm not aggree, Na mas ok pang bumili ng surplus kaysa palitan na lang yong top cover. Nangyari na yan sa Nissan sentra ko. Bumili ako ng surplus imbis makamura ako lalo ako napamura dahil after 4 months nagoverheat engine ko. buti naitago ko pa yong dating radiator ko. may nakita ako minsan kasi sa isang car ng friend ko. pinagawa niya ang top cover ng tanso sa isang shop sa Quezon City, kaya Pinagawa ko rin yong top cover ng radiator ko, 9 months na wala pa akong problema kahit long drive. Marami ng gumagawa ng ganito, pero di naman nagkakaproblema. Mas safe pa nga yong tanso kaysa plastic. IMHO

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoycruiser View Post
    Sorry Sir, Im respect your opinon but I'm not aggree, Na mas ok pang bumili ng surplus kaysa palitan na lang yong top cover. Nangyari na yan sa Nissan sentra ko. Bumili ako ng surplus imbis makamura ako lalo ako napamura dahil after 4 months nagoverheat engine ko. buti naitago ko pa yong dating radiator ko. may nakita ako minsan kasi sa isang car ng friend ko. pinagawa niya ang top cover ng tanso sa isang shop sa Quezon City, kaya Pinagawa ko rin yong top cover ng radiator ko, 9 months na wala pa akong problema kahit long drive. Marami ng gumagawa ng ganito, pero di naman nagkakaproblema. Mas safe pa nga yong tanso kaysa plastic. IMHO
    You kept a few details from your story.

You said you replaced your radiator with a surplus part.

FOUR MONTHS later, your sentra overheated.

What model sentra and what year did you have your overheat? (how old was your car when it overheated?)

So you are blaming your overheated sentra after FOUR months of using a surplus radiator. Kinda hard to comprehend unless you complete your story here.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 26th, 2011 at 01:47 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    just to add, after replacement better used DISTILLED water with coolant of course. never used tap water as this may contains minerals that will deposits inside the radiator, this will decrease cooling efficiency coz of insulating mineral deposits.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    You kept a few details from your story.

You said you replaced your radiator with a surplus part.

FOUR MONTHS later, your sentra overheated.

What model sentra and what year did you have your overheat? (how old was your car when it overheated?)

So you are blaming your overheated sentra after FOUR months of using a surplus radiator. Kinda hard to comprehend unless you complete your story here.
    Parang galit ka yata Sir, kasi dalawa post mo agad, ok kailangan mo pala complete details ha.
    Ang Kotse ko Nissan Sentra EXALTA 2001 model. nagkaroon ng bitak yong plastic cover. Siyempre nareremedyuhan dahil may nabibiling epoxy. Ginawa ko bumili ng surplus radiator, Yong radiator ng exalta di nakikita yong tubo ng rad sa loob. Di katulad ng ibang rad nasa gitna yong filler cap. So ito ng ikabit ang surplus radiator na makalipas ng ilang buwan medyo nagiinit ang makina. May mekaniko nagsabi na kailangan maioverhaul ang radiator. Nagdalawa isip ko kung bibili brand new o ipagawa na lang yon rad ko. Buti nga may kaibigan ako nagpayo sa akin na palitan na lang yong top cover ng dati kong rad, Kasi ipinakita niya kotse niya na tanso na yong takip. Siyempre pinagawa ko yong dati rad ko. Ngayon OK na parang bago uli. Kaya mahirap yong advise mo sir na bumili ng surplus radiator. Kapag bumili ng surplus kailangan buksan at linisin yong mga tubo ng rad. Parang bumili ka sa ukay ukay na damit na bago mo isuot kailangan labhan muna at tangalin yong germ baka ka magkasakit. Ganun din ang surplus radiator kailangan linisin muna para di maapektuhan ang makina. Yong Exalta ko pala di masyado gamitin kasi may iba pang sasakyan pa ako.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Nasira ang fan, nag-cracked and radiator