New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Parang may problem na sa aircon system mo sir. Baka busted na ang expansion valve mo.
    Ah... cge sir I'll have that checked too this weekend. I'm trying to list down the things I need checked. Mahirap na at baka maloko nanaman ako. So so far I have 2 things na:

1. Electronic Thermostat
    2. Expansion Valve

Thanks guys for feedbacks! My wife is going to give birth this month so any unnecessary gastos sa fix this weekend will be a big help for us.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you open your A/C system palitan mo na rin ng drier..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    If you open your A/C system palitan mo na rin ng drier..
    Drier: will check it out. Thanks!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    pa check mo muna yung switch!!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think you can only buy electronic thermostat sa casa...ok naman manual thermostat dahil a very cheap replacement but just make sure na walang problema sa system

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    pa check mo muna yung switch!!
    Sir, yung electronic thermostat ba nakakabit yung sinasabi nyo?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I think you can only buy electronic thermostat sa casa...ok naman manual thermostat dahil a very cheap replacement but just make sure na walang problema sa system
    Ok sir. Naka manual T-stat na siya ngayun. So, yung erratic na pag off yung ipapa ayus ko na lang and also yung ibang parts na din like yung drier and valve.

Thanks sa mga nag reply, you guys rock!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Forget the workarounds and have it fixed back to OEM spec. That means, remove all previously-installed non-factory parts and have the ECU checked if it's actually defective or not.... Once and for all. Do this before you decide to overhaul the whole A/C system. It's icing, you said, so chances are there's nothing wrong with the actual A/C parts but just certain components that controls its on/off cycle.

The intermittent lack of power may be attributed to the hack. In a fully-functional car with the ECU in control, it knows exactly when the compressor is engaged and it would in turn increase power to the engine to compensate for the drag. With the ECU bypassed, your operating the compressor independent of the ECU's decision, so it may not be compensating for the power loss when the analog thermostat commands the compressor to engage.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    tama, ibalik sa dating set-up ang ac mo (esp kung ATC). have it checked by qualified tech or sa casa. the ac system is controlled by computer, the computer must know that you want the ac on para ma adjust nya and engine speed mo before turning on the compressor. when operating at wot (wide open throttle. the computer will automatically cut the compressor operations), also pag mataas head pressure i cut din ng computer ang ac. yung icing ay madaming pwedeng maging cause; pwede ding sira ang low pressure cut-off switch, undercharge, madumi,wiring papuntang ac relay, etc.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    kung may separate switch yan A/C mo yun muna pa check mo... secondary switch lang kasi yung thermostat... as i have said sa setup ng kotse ko.. kahit naka manual t-stat ako eh controlled pa din ng ECU yung A/C... although i have a separate switch for the A/C the relay for the compressor is still controlled by the ECU so pag na sense nung ECU na nahihirapan yung engine ko momentarily switch-off nya yung A/C to allow the engine build up power...

also have the pressure switch (located sa drier or near the drier) checked... nag ice yan A/C mo kasi hindi nag automatic cut off yung compressor plus madumi na yung cooling coil mo kaya nag stay yung tubig in between the fins na nag ice kapag sobra na lamig... actually pag nag ice yan mawawala ang lamig sa air vents kasi na block nung ice yung daanan ng hangin

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by darthvord View Post
    My car is an 06' Chevy Optra 1.6 LS Wagon (Automatic). Last year na notice ko na nawawalan ng lamig yung kotse at humihina yung hangin. So I thought that it might be because it's dirty already. SO, I took it to the shop and the mechanic said that my compressor clutch is not disengaging and that's why its ice-ing up. He said that everything was OK, no leaks and the system is is clean except for clutch problem. The mechanic said that it might be the ECU acting up, he suggested that we add a thermostat and bypass the ECU.

Not being a car nut (and fearing that I'd be buying a new ECU... which will cost me most of my limbs) I asked him to go ahead with the procedure. It worked, the compressor disengages automatically and it doesn't ice up anymore. Problem solved!

Or I thought it was. After a few months, I am now noticing quite a significant power loss everytime the compressor kicks in and a faint "gurgle" when the car is in idle and below 1K rpm. And also sometimes the compressor won't turn on (turing the AC switch on and off after a few minutes solves this issue... pretty annoying)

I've read somewhere that my car automatically cuts off the compressor if it detects that its under load (climbing a hill, overtaking, etc.) and knowing that we've just bypassed the ECU, I might be placing too much stress on my engine because of this. I now want to take it to another AC shop and remove the thermostat, and have it wired the way it was before.

My question now is What could be the cause of the compressor not disengaging? What should I look for and what should I tell the mechanic?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry for the eyestrain.

assuming your refrigerant quantity and pressure are within specs, check your vent registers for correct airflow/delivery, usually, this is done with a manometer (comparing your airflow with a known good car of the same make and model). if the airflow is low, the result is freezing of the evaporator core and of course further reduces the airflow across it. this climate control system (your computer controlled airconditioning) uses a pressure transducer installed in the low pressure side plumbing. it has three wires: PINK-low reference, LIGHT BLUE- 5 volt reference voltage, DARK GREEN (DOHC)-pressure signal or PURPLE(SOHC)- pressure signal. have this transducer checked first. this climate control is also sensitive to antifreeze/coolant amount in the system, if it is low, the climate control operates erratically too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mechanic Bypassed ECU and placed a Thermostat instead :( ... HELP!