New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Its possible that some rust are in the water pipings and water jackets....

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Sir, hilander ride po. Already had the radiator overhauled. Tapos nilagyan na ng coolant mixed with water coming from a softener water system. Pero after a while, naging kalawang color ulit ang tubig. Di kaya ang kalawang nanggagaling sa makina kung saan umiikot ang tubig to/from the radiator?

Ito ang reason kaya ko gusto ko malaman alin safe pang remove ng rust sa internals ng cooling system or piping. I'm considering rust remover na ilagay sa radiator. Ang worry ko lang ay luma na yun radiator ko. Baka magkaroon ng leak pag sumobra ang rust remover. Ano kaya magandang brand?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Sir, hilander ride po. Already had the radiator overhauled. Tapos nilagyan na ng coolant mixed with water coming from a softener water system. Pero after a while, naging kalawang color ulit ang tubig. Di kaya ang kalawang nanggagaling sa makina kung saan umiikot ang tubig to/from the radiator?
    Rust particles as long as they are suspended in the coolant solution is tolerable unless its sludge. It is when they deposit themselves on surfaces that problems begin to precipitate.

If to borrow a term from OTEP, "rodding", is not recommended for radiators of light vehicles.

I wouldn't be so quick with using muriatic acid, its normally used as a treatment for cleaning stains and oxidation but it will also dissolve metals given the right conditions.

But there are engine flushes that are more alkaline based that are safer to use, just make sure you rinse your loop before you refill it with coolants.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinoi View Post
    Just found out that my thermostat was damaged by rust. Ano procedure para ma flush out ko yun mga rust bago lagyan mix water and coolant. Dati kasi tap water lang gamit ko.

Picture of replacement thermostat and damaged one.

If the mechanical components of your thermostats are broken, you wouldn't want to reuse them. Those are stamped sheet metal parts not exactly the best for rework under those conditions.

The active component of common thermostats is a wax-based compound that is formulated to expand or contract in a given temperature range.

Your car would run without a thermostat, it just wont' do so optimally. Besides its costlier to repair again unless you personally enjoy tinkering with your ride.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    ganyan din yung dati kong Hilander.. ang ginawa ko is I use purified water from water station and replace my water weekly.. sa radiator lang via drain plug.. then after few weeks nagiging clear na yung water.. tapos that's the time na gumamit na ako ng pre mix toyota coolant...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
    ganyan din yung dati kong Hilander.. ang ginawa ko is I use purified water from water station and replace my water weekly.. sa radiator lang via drain plug.. then after few weeks nagiging clear na yung water.. tapos that's the time na gumamit na ako ng pre mix toyota coolant...
    You would have achieved similar results by just doing a proper flush once. Exposing your engine components and radiator to plain water for an extended period, purified or not, causes problems with metal surfaces.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    You would have achieved similar results by just doing a proper flush once. Exposing your engine components and radiator to plain water for an extended period, purified or not, causes problems with metal surfaces.
    So what is the best water?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    sir EVO-V, para naman sa ikabubuti ng radiator ni TS, ano nalang ang ginagamit mo sa auto mo?
    yun nalang gayahin nya para perfect na cooling system nya.

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    ok naman result... our Hilander is still alive and kicking with original stock radiator since 1997...

TS the best talaga is lav ramon..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
    ok naman result... our Hilander is still alive and kicking with original stock radiator since 1997...

TS the best talaga is lav ramon..
    If its just for flushing purposes you may use clean tap water. Its going to be drained anyway.

Drain old coolant into a pan or container. Do not wantonly discard this as it is toxic and harmful to the environment.

Then use radiator flush, run for 15-30 minutes, then replace with plain water, then run for 15-30 mins again, then drain. Repeat this until you're satisfied with the clarity of the water in your system, then drain and replace with your preferred coolant mix in and be on your merry way.

Newer cars with aluminum blocks and rads are more sensitive to water only application. So be mindful what you put in.

There is no mystique to this. Just commonsense science and diligence.
    Last edited by EVO-V; December 10th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How to flush rust from my car cooling system?