New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    how?
    i have had experience wherein the radiator coolant had already gone down so low that the metal top of the core was already visible, and yet the overflow cannister still contained significant amount of coolant...
    in my example here, it seems i had a leak.. in the short rubber hose hiding under my intake manifold. it was completely invisible.. the only clue was when i opened my radiator cap, my coolant was gone, even as my overflow still had liquid in it..
    and i would never have suspected a leak, had i not opened the cap..
    Check your coolant reservoir na lang. If it needs filling every week, major leak yan. If every month lang at kunti lang (less than 250ml), ok pa yan basta araw-araw ginagamit car.

Kung daily ka magdagdag, any day titirik ka na!

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    meself had also the practice of removing the cap to check coolant level aside from checking the reservoir....every trip ganun hanggang sa na wear out yung silicone seal. ayun kayang paikutin ng pressure yung cap kaya pag nag cool down hindi na makahigop ng coolant from reservoir kasi hindi na sealed ang system.

ngayon, i just check the reservoir plus a vigilant eye on the temp gage during driving.

ngapala, quick check lang sa cap TS baka may namiss ka: check pressure spring by compressing the cap and vacuum spring by pulling on the center. the best pa rin to check is by a rad cap tester tool.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    meself had also the practice of removing the cap to check coolant level aside from checking the reservoir....every trip ganun hanggang sa na wear out yung silicone seal. ayun kayang paikutin ng pressure yung cap kaya pag nag cool down hindi na makahigop ng coolant from reservoir kasi hindi na sealed ang system.

ngayon, i just check the reservoir plus a vigilant eye on the temp gage during driving.

ngapala, quick check lang sa cap TS baka may namiss ka: check pressure spring by compressing the cap and vacuum spring by pulling on the center. the best pa rin to check is by a rad cap tester tool.
    Opening the radiator cap is normally a trouble shooting measure. Your car's cooling system is a sealed system. The total volume is designed to essentially account for losses due to permeation and not much else. If it goes down it goes down because of a leak.

And since we're on this topic, more coolant doesn't mean more cooling. That's the rubbish mentioned by erring salesmen trying to sell bigger and not necessarily more efficient radiators to unsuspecting buyers.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    IMHO, the TS's radiator needs a new replacement as he mentioned he has a practice of overhauling it yearly which is not good as this will disrupt the sealing inside out even with a good rad repairman. What the TS did not mention is, if he had the OEM aluminum rad's plastic upper tank replaced with a brass one (which is also, again, not a good practice as this will result in corrosion due to galvanic reaction) which probably has a bad radiator cap seating. Or if he still has the plastic upper tank, chances are, the filler neck seating for the radiator cap has seen better days and is not sealing properly. Minute leakage in the cooling system is difficult to spot when the engine is hot since it evaporates easily. To summarize it, the TS's radiator is "tired" and has to be decomissioned in place for a new one. There are a lot of reputable replacement radiators out there at a fraction of the price of OEM and they serve well their given purpose.
    A new radiator is always cheaper than an engine rebuild....

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    A new radiator is always cheaper than an engine rebuild....
    Amen. It is good to see a kindred spirit in commonsense.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    hello mga peeps,buhayin ko lang ulit thread ko, so finally after 2 months,i finally decided to get a 2 row brand new radiator with brand new rad cap,pero after 2 days, i checked it,nabawasan na naman siya ng almost isang baso!!!! anu kaya ang sira nito,nakakaasar hindi mahuli huli,wala naman ako makita visible leak,fan is working ok,bakit nababawasan yung sa rad and not the reserve,pwede kayang sa waterpump pero i doubt it kasi umaagos yung tubig pag sinilip sa rad,help!!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    sir kratos4age. yung sa amin, sinunod namin yung payo ni sir evo-v na silipin lahat ng mga hose, o-ring, at iba pang puwedeng panggalingan ng tulo. ngayon lang halos lahat ng mga truck namin hindi na kailangang mag-refill ng tubig.

nagawa na rin naming lagyan ng coolant kasi hindi na tumutulo. makikita namin sa ilang buwan kung kailangan pa bang i-overhaul ang radiator.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doggieD View Post
    sir kratos4age. yung sa amin, sinunod namin yung payo ni sir evo-v na silipin lahat ng mga hose, o-ring, at iba pang puwedeng panggalingan ng tulo. ngayon lang halos lahat ng mga truck namin hindi na kailangang mag-refill ng tubig.

nagawa na rin naming lagyan ng coolant kasi hindi na tumutulo. makikita namin sa ilang buwan kung kailangan pa bang i-overhaul ang radiator.
    sir yung mga truck nyo ba wet sleeve type?

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    eh di kung walang visible external leak eh internal leak na yan...panalangin mo na lang na head gasket lang..hindi cylinder head, or engine block.

check mo ng maigi lahat ng hoses, water pump seal tsaka yung mga freeze plugs.

check you engine oil too for water contamination.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    eh di kung walang visible external leak eh internal leak na yan...panalangin mo na lang na head gasket lang..hindi cylinder head, or engine block.

check mo ng maigi lahat ng hoses, water pump seal tsaka yung mga freeze plugs.

check you engine oil too for water contamination.
    walang tubig ang langis and im sure hindi head gasket,kung head gasket o cylinder head ang may tama di sana hindi ko na nagagamit at nag ooverheat na ko agad,
    nagagamit ko oto everyday from paranaque going up to valenzuela no overheat,
    i think its a pinhole leak somewhere na hindi ko mahanap,will keep searching for that elusive ****ing leak

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast