The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    ^^^maingay kung sumasayad.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeoAlpha View Post
    No need to remove the blower paps, painitin mo lang ng husto mawawala amoy niyan.
    in other words, just use it and hope that the heat generated will gradually drive away the odor..
    this is actually i would have done, if i were me..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    You are correct, sir dr. D.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Don't ignore the smell for two things:

1. It could be toxic enough to affect you or somebody else's health
    2. Think: Burning dashboard

Check if the burnt smell is coming from the blower speed controller (aka. blower power resistor). This is usually located downstream between the blower and the evaporator. Any burnt smell coming from this module will be carried by the airflow out the vents.

If the replacement blower does not have the same or lower spec as the original, it might overload and overheat the speed controller.

Does the odor disappear when you put the blower speed at the highest setting? Does it smell the strongest on any particular blower speed?

Check also if this part was installed correctly and that no foreign contaminants are on it that could have the possibility of melting.

This is what it looks like on a similar model year Jazz/Fit, of which the City shares a lot of parts with. The perforated metal portion is hidden and inserted into the A/C ducting. The resistor network naturally produces heat when the blower speed setting is set to other than OFF or HIGH. The resistor elements are cooled by the flowing air inside the A/C duct:
    Last edited by oj88; February 23rd, 2015 at 01:47 AM.

5. Join Date
    May 2014
    ^^^maingay kung sumasayad.
    uu nga pero kung naubos na ung sumasayad nangangamoy sunog din kasi un.. sa resistor block naman halos lahat meron un eh.. d naman kaya galing sa labas ang amoy pede kasi nagalaw ang vent nun eh..

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    ^^^kung ubos na yung sumayad, wala na mangangamoy wala na din ingay. hehehehe

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

Check if the burnt smell is coming from the blower speed controller (aka. blower power resistor). This is usually located downstream between the blower and the evaporator. Any burnt smell coming from this module will be carried by the airflow out the vents.

If the replacement blower does not have the same or lower spec as the original, it might overload and overheat the speed controller.

Does the odor disappear when you put the blower speed at the highest setting? Does it smell the strongest on any particular blower speed?

Check also if this part was installed correctly and that no foreign contaminants are on it that could have the possibility of melting.

This is what it looks like on a similar model year Jazz/Fit, of which the City shares a lot of parts with. The perforated metal portion is hidden and inserted into the A/C ducting. The resistor network naturally produces heat when the blower speed setting is set to other than OFF or HIGH. The resistor elements are cooled by the flowing air inside the A/C duct:
    pagkakaintindi ko running capacitor po ito. tama rin si sir OJ88, pero kung gumagana pa blower mo until now, ibig sabihin hindi pa sumisingaw ung capacitor.pero kung deads na, malamang ito din isang problema.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

pagkakaintindi ko running capacitor po ito. tama rin si sir OJ88, pero kung gumagana pa blower mo until now, ibig sabihin hindi pa sumisingaw ung capacitor.pero kung deads na, malamang ito din isang problema.

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    ^^^kung ubos na yung sumayad, wala na mangangamoy wala na din ingay. hehehehe
    tama.. pero ung amoy di basta basta nawawala agad eh,, obserbahan mo lang muna sir.. mahirap kasi jan wiring ang nasusunog,.,

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Running cap is for AC motor. Speed control of DC motor is thru limiting the current using a resistor.

+1 on resistor. Replacement motor might have outside tolerance the resistor could not take. Extra current is heating up the resistor cooking up the insulator..

10. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    *RomeoAlpha
    I removed the blower and blew hot air on it for 30 mins, the smell did not go away. Even if nabilad na sa araw auto ko, it's still there. And it's been more than a month, if the fan just needed to be broken-in, I think one month is more than enough.

Also, my blower is still functioning properly.

*oj88
    I haven't noticed if the smell changes depending on the blower speed. I'll try it out later. These are my observations:

-If I'm only running the fans with the AC off (no cold air) there's no smell.
    -If I let the fans running for a minute while the AC is off, the smell seems to build up somewhere. So when I finally turn the AC on, the built-up smell is worse.

I saw something odd when I removed the blower though: there's still a small metal clip (looks like a big staple wire) attached to one of the fins of the blower. I already removed it.

I appreciate the troubleshooting tips here, guys. But I'm not really car-savvy and can only do the simpler stuff. So I think I should bring my car to a shop. Do you think I should bring my car back to EDS? Or do you guys have a trusted shop I can go to?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Burnt smell on AC. Need a good shop.