New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    sample VLT standards enforced abroad.. notice windshield + front side windows always use higher VLT tints..

Kaya rin ganyan para may privacy yun rear passengers. In US usually ganyan pag SUV. The rear glass is already colored.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathRow View Post
    What do you think would be the best choice film for the front windshield to achieve:
    - Dark (Black) exterior look
    - Best vision for driver
    - No limit for price/brand
    If heat rejection is also important, go for the more expensive tint brands with at least 30% VLT for your WS.

For comparison, I have Huper Optik Ceramic Series (CS) 30 on my WS. Helps with the heat, glare from incoming vehicles and visibility at night is relatively awesome. My windows are VKool OEM 05. Sobrang dilim. My rear glass is still sa stock 3M Black Chrome 35, relatively useless. I plan to change them all to HO din after maka-ipon, quite an investment pa (around 15K~ pa).

3. Join Date
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    that is why i hate those who go super dark tints-super bright HID combo... they endanger not only themselves but also the opposite traffic...

if you want that menyek tints to have "privacy" then i suggest you stay home...

meduim tints on the front and the sides then super dark on the rest..
    Yes it's these guys who make my driving more difficult at night and is now forcing me to spend money in order to provide a cure to my problem.

Thanks for the input guys.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathRow View Post
    I currently have 10% VLT tint covering the whole vehicle except for the front windshield which is bare.

I've gone 2 years with this setup but some conditions at night are proving an eye-sore with many oncoming drivers driving with unbearable lights, so was looking to tint the front a wee bit.
    Driving school lessons, day 2.
    If you have oncoming high beam headlights, you turn your gaze towards the gutter, slightly to the lower right. Problem solved.

If you tint your windshield below 30% VLT to "cure" this problem, you should not be driving.

Driving realizations, a few years later.
    Once you are close enough to see oncoming car headlights split from one light to two, you should dip your headlight beam to the low setting.
    Last edited by Type 100; November 9th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    Like I already said, will go for the lightest black shade of tint for the front windshield, which is around 40% VLT if I remember reading correctly. At least the black shades have better glare reduction than the magic/chrome variants, say some consumers. Turning head to the gutter? Textbook teaching is different to reality especially with so many variables to take into account, having said that I've tried it before and it's fine for the first few punters but for the succeeding hundreds and thousands no thanks. Alternative sought.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    ^the opposite is true, Magic/Chrome tint provides better glare reduction because they have higher VLR (Visible Light Reflectance) properties.

Visible Light Reflectance (VLR)
    The amount of visible light that is reflected by the glazing system, expressed as a percent. A higher VLR rating offers better glare control. Films with higher ratings tend to be more reflective and/or darker.

Example VLR ratings for 3M "Magic" and "Black" shades..

3M BC-35 -- Light Magic (13% VLR)
    3M BC-20 -- Dark Magic (20% VLR)
    3M BC-10 -- Super Dark Magic Neutral (22% VLR)

3M FX-35 -- Light Black (5% VLR)
    3M FX-20 -- Medium Black (5% VLR)
    3M FX-5 -- Super Black (5% VLR)

7. Join Date
    May 2011
    Went for medium magic platinum shade in the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12