New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ask ko opinions of mga tsikoters,

what can you say about an suv having lighter shade of tint on driver and front passenger side windows? example, medium black on front windshield, driver side and front passenger side. then super black on 2nd row windows, rear quarter panel, rear glass.

will it be corny looking?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    ask ko opinions of mga tsikoters,

what can you say about an suv having lighter shade of tint on driver and front passenger side windows? example, medium black on front windshield, driver side and front passenger side. then super black on 2nd row windows, rear quarter panel, rear glass.

will it be corny looking?
    nope because my car has the same window tint scheme.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Hi shotgun,

My two cars are also using 3M Black tint on front passenger/driver windows. Everything at the rear is 3M Super Black. Windshield is 3M Magic neutral.
    Its a very good combination. From the outside, you hardly see the difference because its the same color. You will just wonder why you can see the shadow of passenger in front but can't see anything at the back. Having lighter shade on the front passenger window and windshield is very practical and safe choice. You will not struggle to see in front, side and back (using side mirrors). When I have 3rd car, and I'll do the same combination again.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I also have different tint colors for the front and rear windows.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Car dealers overseas usually call that kind of tinting "privacy glass."

If you browse Japanese car websites, the darker rear tint is also noticeably common over there.

Should be no legal issue with it as far as we're concerned.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    In the US, most states have strict laws when it comes to tint darkness on the front door windows and the portion above the AS1 line on the windshield. These laws change from state to state.

But for the rear passenger windows, you're pretty much free to use whatever tint darkness you like.

So to answer the TS' question, it's fine to use the lightest tint as much as possible for the front windows. But as for the windshield, it's ideal not to put tint below the AS1 line (The AS1 line is around 3-4 inches from the top of the windshield).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ideally (for aesthetic/artistic) purposes, window tint should be uniform.

But there are legislation in other countries that prohibit this. And some drivers have limited ability to see through privacy glass so the front windows and windshield have a different shade.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    i dont think that it will be corny looking at all but imho i think its better to have that window tint scheme if you're going to ride in the rear seat with your driver handling the wheel. if you want privacy for your kids or passengers then by all means go for it. it wont be corny at all.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    sorry double post
    Last edited by four-rings; August 5th, 2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: double post

different color for front and rear windows