New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    How come used Volvos are cheaper compared to BMWs and MBs?
    Are there any Volvo owners here? Are Volvos easy to maintain? Are parts available? What is the best model / year to consider if one is buying a used Volvo?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i think used volvos are cheaper than BMWs and Benz'es because they're fuglier.
    just kidding..

but then again the "new" volvos (the ones with models like S40, S60, instead of 3-digit numbers) are made by FORD (you know.. Found On the Road Dead.. Fix Or Repair Daily..) so definitely much lower-class than BMW's and Benz'es. But then again all Jaguars are also FORD...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    i think used volvos are cheaper than BMWs and Benz'es because they're fuglier.
    just kidding..

but then again the "new" volvos (the ones with models like S40, S60, instead of 3-digit numbers) are made by FORD (you know.. Found On the Road Dead.. Fix Or Repair Daily..) so definitely much lower-class than BMW's and Benz'es. But then again all Jaguars are also FORD...
    Following that logic, Range Rovers and Aston Martins must be lower-class too since they are part of FORD hehe :P (just playing with u orly)

Walter, which particular Volvo models are you interested in? I think old Volvos here had some "tropical" problems like plastics not standing up to our hot weather and some mechanical issues.

I have a 2004 S40 (new look) for 2 trouble-free years so far and I'm enjoying every moment of driving/owning the car. I have a friend with an S60 T5 and he seems to like his car alot too. Just ask if you like to know more..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    It's the image of what Volvos were in the past that's killing the pre-owned price. Demand rin. More demand = higher price.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    The box type Volvos are ugly. The new ones are curvier and much more appealing. S40!!!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Following that logic, Range Rovers and Aston Martins must be lower-class too since they are part of FORD hehe :P (just playing with u orly)
    di naman same class eh.

following the same logic, wouldn't the Cayenne be considered more desirable than the Range Rover? actually Ford has been good for some of its acquisions (e.g. Jaguars used to be extremely unreliable until Ford bought them..) but there's really no comparison between a Ford, and an equally-priced Benz or BMW in terms of perception and prestige value. Am not saying the Ford is a worse car, but in people's minds, it is.

well it doesn't help Ford that their SUV's burn down houses... :D

on a (useless) side note, the new C1-based S40 (the one which looks like a blinged Mazda3.. which it is..) is pretty darn good looking.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter
    How come used Volvos are cheaper compared to BMWs and MBs?
    Its Volvo's brand image in the country, Mercedes and BMW are sort of like Toyota and Honda in the RP lxury car segment(traditional euro luxury brands).

Quote Originally Posted by Walter
    What is the best model / year to consider if one is buying a used Volvo?
    I guess it depends on the model, some of the better old gen Volvos...
    S40 (1998 model shown)

S70 (1998 model shown)
    Last edited by AG4; February 20th, 2006 at 10:27 AM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    Walter, which particular Volvo models are you interested in? I think old Volvos here had some "tropical" problems like plastics not standing up to our hot weather and some mechanical issues.

I have a 2004 S40 (new look) for 2 trouble-free years so far and I'm enjoying every moment of driving/owning the car. I have a friend with an S60 T5 and he seems to like his car alot too. Just ask if you like to know more..

Interested in the 850 Estate or V70 (pre-2001) since used ones are quite cheap. Are there available parts outside of dealers? What are the common problems to look out for when buying these models?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    volvos are just not mainstream yet.

they're traditionally known for making cars that are super-safe and a little quirky...the stereotype in the 90's was college professors and mom wagons not really well-known for making luxury/premium cars although they're obviously trying to change that.

imo they're kinda in that 'no-man's land' that volkswagen is also in - not quite as luxurious as mercedes or jaguar, not as sporty as bmw, but a step or two above the japanese brands

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Also note that Volvos are much cheaper than BMWs or Mercs when brand new, thus, they're still cheaper than BMWs or Mercs when old.

Volvos have no more problems than Mercs or Bimmers do. Actually, given the quality of recent Mercs and Bimmers in regards to electronics, Volvo comes out about par with them. :P

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Are Volvo cars any good?