New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was just thinking of purchasing a car for anti coding and for having a second car handy. I don't really want to spend more than 200k. I want the car to be practical as well, and if possible, pwede rin i-pogi.

Now, i could buy some early 90s Honda Civic Hatch with this budget and some Toyota Corollas but am worried baka bugbog na masyado. Surprisingly I found out that there are some Volvo 850 Wagons sold at this range as well.

I was just wondering if buying this Volvo would give me major major headaches or will it be reliable naman. Thanks for the inputs.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Those cheap used Volvos will give you a headache.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    depends on the condition of the 850. the best thing to do is bring a mechanic along who's familiar with the model. a volvo is not for everyone even though you can get some models for that price range, maintaining it is another question. try looking up the price of some parts and youll be surprise how much they cost however unlike japanese parts, they take a lot of battering and time to breakdown

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008

You may have to wonder why it has such a low value at 200K for such a premium brand.

The car is not a keeper. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Feature front-wheel drive and an all-aluminum 20-valvefive-cylinder engine. 850s received standard equipment such as dual front airbags, antilock brakes, head restraints and three-point seat belts for all passengers, power windows, door locks, and mirrors, cruise control, and dual zone climate control.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I believe the 850 series is the cheapest volvo to maintain in the Philippines because it has the most parts locally. It's angled looks makes it look much older. Someone not really familiar with volvos will mistook volvos as old as 2000-2002 as new cars but not the 850.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Parts are available but a "killer" in price.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    Parts are available but a "killer" in price.
    Not if you know where to buy them, maintenance of Volvos can be brought down to Japanese car level.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mguy View Post
    i was just thinking of purchasing a car for anti coding and for having a second car handy. I don't really want to spend more than 200k. I want the car to be practical as well, and if possible, pwede rin i-pogi.

Now, i could buy some early 90s honda civic hatch with this budget and some toyota corollas but am worried baka bugbog na masyado. Surprisingly i found out that there are some volvo 850 wagons sold at this range as well.

I was just wondering if buying this volvo would give me major major headaches or will it be reliable naman. Thanks for the inputs.

it will give you a headache. Volvos are realiable but im not sure for that age of your volvo. European cars are expensive in terms of repairs, trust me, parts are rare esp. In the phils.

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    I miss my Volvo wagon. It was a T5 Turbo version, producing 225 HP and 300NM of torque, it was pretty fast and responsive. But yes, it will give you a headache because of the maintenance and parts. I bought it for 600k in 2004. After using it for 3 years, I sold it for 300k. Not bad for a daily used car, and it was pretty rare because it was a Turbo variant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Opinion on Volvo 850 Wagon