New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The turbo here in the U.S. on XC90 2.5T is made by Mitsubishi turbo. They rarely go bad. So whats wrong with your turbo, send me e-mail on the diagnosis on your turbo.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    Hi mike, i would just like to ask a question about my 97 volvo S40 1.8 manual.
    every time the engine temp already reaches the normal operating temp, the engine starts to act alittle wierd, the engine vibrates a lot and i think 2 cylinder is not firing because i can smell the fuel at the exhaust, and there is no power at 1k-3k rpm, i hope you can help me, thanks!

i just change to a new iridium spark plugs but it is still behaving that way.
    Is the check engine light on? Any codes? Are the S40s in the PI turbo charged? If it is, check if the turbo is functioning, check number 3 and 4 coil for sign of crack in the housing causing the engine to misfires. Also, for the vibration, check the right hand side engine mount and the transmission mount, they tend to go bad a lot and we've been replacing a lot of those. If you need parts for your Volvo, tell me what parts you need because I ship parts to the PI. Ill give you the name and address where to purchase it from in the PI. Sorry for the late reply, I've been caught up at work. Ill be posting pictures of the new XC60 with the video of the city safety that stops by itself. Its really cool

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by billyjames View Post
    Hmmm. No reply from TS mikevolvotech for more than 2 months now. I hope he's just busy kasi tips or advice from a Certified Volvo Techinician would indeed be very helpful.

I read in this forum that S40 is problematic. I was adviced some time back that the best volvo to own is the 850, T5 if you can find one, because parts are cheaper and more readily available. Parts of most other models kasi indent so unless the volvo is your coding car, you'll be finding yourslef without wheels for months at a time while waiting for parts to arrive.
    Actually, the engine and transmission on the S40 and 850 are identical. The only difference is that there is one cylinder less on the S40. But problematic no. The S40s are built in Belgium and the parts are reliable and available here in the US. I actually have a 2001 V40 with 90,000 miles and I never had problem with this car and I love this car. Also, if you need any parts, I can get you some cheap used parts. Ill ship it to the PI from here. Sorry again for the late reply, I haven't checked my e-mail and I've been caught up at work.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevolvotech View Post
    Are the S40s in the PI turbo charged?
    The 1.8s are NA, only 1.9T and 2.0T are the turbo charged here

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
    but why does it smell gas in the exhaust??
    have you checked the spark plugs? how was it?

and yes, clean your throttle body. include the MAF and IAC also

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    first check for a faulty fuel pressure regulator. the easy way to check is to disconnect the small vacuum hose attached to the regulator for fuel leaking fr. the hose,if u see fuel coming out fr. the hose this means diaphram fr. reg. is leaking.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    hey guys, you can clean throttle body and idle motor but dont touch the inside of the MAF sensor very critical.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    hey guys, you can clean throttle body and idle motor but dont touch the inside of the MAF sensor very critical.
    is it? can't we clean it using a MAF sensor cleaner? it dries so fast so i thought it would be fine

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Actually, the engine and transmission on the S40 and 850 are identical. The only difference is that there is one cylinder less on the S40. But problematic no. The S40s are built in Belgium and the parts are reliable and available here in the US. I actually have a 2001 V40 with 90,000 miles and I never had problem with this car and I love this car. Also, if you need any parts, I can get you some cheap used parts. Ill ship it to the PI from here. Sorry again for the late reply, I haven't checked my e-mail and I've been caught up at work.
    Someone PMed me that it is the pre 2001 S40 that is problematic. As for the 850, there seems to be a consensus that it is more durable. This is not to dispute your post but hope you can shed more light.

Maybe you can post your contact details for the benefit of readers.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    hi guys, the 40 series here starts in the year 2000 and up. Looks like you guys have earlier models than that. Are those Volvo engines or Mitsubishi engines, because I heard the early ones are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Ask your Volvo tech questions here!