New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Asking VW owners Tsikotters. Is its already economical and practical to own a VW here in the Philippines?

I mean vs your typical mainstream brands like Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi how does it stack up?

Maintenance costs? How much is your typical PMS. Is it easy enough to do maintenance that its also feasible to have PMS outside the dealership if ever after warranty?

Parts availability?

Reliability?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Based on fuel economy, the TDI diesels are very frugal.

Based on the 15k km or once a year service interval, the PMS cost should be roughly the same as the normal Jap car na 5k km / 2x a year.

Parts I have not encountered yet, but they should be the same if the model you have is the one which sold the most. Take note one-off japanese cars also have a parts availability problem.

Reliability, well VW cars are generally the Toyotas of Germany so they should match the reliability of the Japs. In other countries where VW was always present, similar yung reliability.

Dito lang sa atin sanay tayo sa Toyota/Honda/Mitsu/Nissan. So oldtimers will not recommend a new brand here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Asking VW owners Tsikotters. Is its already economical and practical to own a VW here in the Philippines?

I mean vs your typical mainstream brands like Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi how does it stack up?

Maintenance costs? How much is your typical PMS. Is it easy enough to do maintenance that its also feasible to have PMS outside the dealership if ever after warranty?

Parts availability?

Reliability?

Thanks!
    I'm on the same boat as you. My heart goes for a golf GTS but the typical Pinoy practical side makes me consider a Fort or MS more.

In terms of reliability i believe it is at par with the Japs and the real concern is parts availability outside of the CASA and of course, resale. But with a conglo like Ayala behind it, the brand has a fighting chance for the long run.

Based on my discussions with other car distributors before, VW has had several suitors to bring it back to the PI in the past but VW turned them down because they wanted someone who could do the volume they desire and back it up for a real challenge in the market.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    dieselgate has shown that VW is dishonest

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    dieselgate has shown that VW is dishonest
    Yeah maybe so pero if dieselgate happened here its not gonna be too much a big deal since our emission standards are just Euro 4 anyway hehehehehe.... So yeah more HP pls even if my diesel pollutes hahahaha

6. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Yeah maybe so pero if dieselgate happened here its not gonna be too much a big deal since our emission standards are just Euro 4 anyway hehehehehe.... So yeah more HP pls even if my diesel pollutes hahahaha

pinoys are being lied too all the time most of us have become desensitized

but me personally i want my carmaker to behave a lot more ethically. dieselgate means NO SALE

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    How sure are we that other manufacturers don't cheat in some other ways? Too bad, VW was caught in the US emissions test.

Does it make their cars less capable? I bet VW TDI cars are much cleaner in emissions compared to those relic Mitsu and Isuzu engines being used in some vehicles here.

The good thing about VW is that it offers local buyers Euro quality for a lot less. How many of us can afford to own Audi or BMW or Merc vehicles? Only a few I guess. Spending something like 1M+ for a Jetta/Golf TDI is a bargain of sorts when a mechanically similar (same platform, same engine, same tranny) Audi A3 TDI sells for almost 3x the price.

We have a 2016 Jetta TDI 1.6L DSG and it's much better than a Altis or Civic. Its built and interior feels more premium compared to the more expensive Civic RS, which we also have. By the way, annual PMS cost for both cars are about the same but the Jetta is much, much frugal on fuel.
    Last edited by Egan101; October 3rd, 2017 at 12:01 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It's not about the technicalities of it producing more pollutants than advertised. It's more about the kind of lengths they went through to hide this fact AND even programmed a cheat code to rig the testing done by the government. In other words, incompetence is one thing, outright dishonesty with the full intention to deceive is another.

While it may be true that other car manufacturers could also be cheating one way or another, but they're innocent until proven guilty.
    Last edited by oj88; October 3rd, 2017 at 01:48 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    pinoys are being lied too all the time most of us have become desensitized

but me personally i want my carmaker to behave a lot more ethically. dieselgate means NO SALE
    Having read about your Ecosport purchase... How about having Ford covering up all its problems as well? Not only locally, but in its own home turf, with all the DCT issues, Ranger Turbo issues, the Explorer carbon monoxide problems (which meron din dito), etc etc etc

Not very ethical...

Most (if not all) manufacturers have skeletons in their closet...
    Last edited by mda; October 3rd, 2017 at 01:57 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The thread wishes to discuss the viability of owning a VW vehicle locally. What's the big thing about the cheat code found in US-model VWs? It does not even apply to us. Maybe it would be more apt to discuss that in its own thread.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast