New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i think the trying hard english posters you find online have the same reason as FTB96 above. they just want to practice. although, i also find that some people dont have the ability to progress no matter how much practice they do. heh

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    nothing wrong if one is practicing english here. we can freely ask the poster to clarify anyways if needed. also, not sure about "elite english" since this is an automotive forum (like math and science) where terminologies are much easier in english than filipino. i may view if differently if this is a social (non-technical) forum where a discussion is ongoing in tagalog, then a poster joined in in english. last, it is easier to type in english than filipino too.
    Last edited by MXFX; January 26th, 2008 at 01:16 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    let me clarify that part about english still being thought of as an elite language. some people still think that english speakers have an edge thus making them elite. this prompts them to use english in a vain attempt to appear "elite". yup, there's nothing wrong with practicing, hopefully there'll be some improvement. if none is seen then too bad.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    you know whats worse than speaking bad English? it would be typing in text lingo. its amazing how much texting has affected how people speak and type nowadays. but thats a different topic.

i understand the the TS's point that some people try so hard to speak english that it becomes ununderstandable sometimes and funny in some ways. thing is we are a very diverse community and some of us can barely speak (or understand sometimes) the Filipino language. that as Filipinos, and us being really friendly and always willing to help we sometimes forget our sentence construction and the language were speaking in. and thats what great about the people here. were not in a forum where we should speak in English or what not. were all in this community to help each other in every way we can or in any language we can speak in. if you're comfortable speaking or its easier for you to convey what you think in a language you're used to do it, everything is appreciated.

my 2 centavos :D

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    English for the elites? That's all in your heads...

In my forum experience we've had members from other countries showing up and posting in what are decidedly Pinoy forum websites. So as not to alienate our foreign guests, we just request the 'locals' to post in English. Nothing elitist there IMO

As long as you can get your point across with the minimum of fuss and mistakes (which may lead to misunderstandings later on), I don't have a problem with whatever language is used.

That said, I frown heavily on people who use text lingo in fora. Sabi nga nila sa KAC "nakakabobo yan"

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    type 100, my point exactly. we should post using the language we're most comfortable with. conveying of ideas or thoughts is of utmost importance in a forum and using a language one is not comfortable with will complicate things further.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    well said jun. that's my point exactly. i think it's better to post in the language you're most comfortable with. somtimes though, i'm perplexed when some posters try so hard to post in english. it's not like there's an unspoken rule here that posts should be in english only.
    It's not in me to dictate how one should post**. Just like if I was reading a post in Tagalog, I still take the time to decipher a post even if it's barely readable English. It might take a while too. But hey, that's just the way it is on the internet. I'm not going to make people change for my benefit. I take things at face value. If the post is so poorly written that I can't understand it, I normally request that poster to clarify. Most of the time other posters who do understand jump in and help.

**Except that one time when there was a post which I described as "reeking of a gangbanger wannabe". I actually understood the post (barely). But, I was just being a smart*ss. So, I apologize to whoever made that post.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 26th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    ^ your patience is amazing.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ^ your patience is amazing.
    He He.

I have to be. I have a daughter who's on the verge of becoming a teenager and I have another daughter who's a newborn. Add to them a (tight-leash holding) wife and a mother-in-law. Imagine all of them going off all at once at me.

And no.... I can't just ignore any of them because being persistent runs in them all. It's a family thing.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 26th, 2008 at 02:44 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Many posters here are brilliant english writers however some churn out barely understandable lines.
    Its a Filipino thing. Trying to impress people by speaking English.

Kaya nga may mga tao na pag galit sa mall nagiingles.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
TO post in english or not, that is the question