New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I just find it weird that more and more people are posting in english nowadays. While it is a sign of progress, sometimes I find it hard to understand some posts. Many posters here are brilliant english writers however some churn out barely understandable lines. What I'm saying is some people can convey their thoughts and ideas better when using the native language, nothing wrong with that. I would too if i had perfect command of the tagalog language.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    I just find it weird that more and more people are posting in english nowadays. While it is a sign of progress, sometimes I find it hard to understand some posts. Many posters here are brilliant english writers however some churn out barely understandable lines. What I'm saying is some people can convey their thoughts and ideas better when using the native language, nothing wrong with that. I would too if i had perfect command of the tagalog language.
    I'd post in Tagalog if I was proficient in it. But I'm not, not even close. If I see a Tagalog post, I do my best to translate it. If it's beyond me, I sometimes ask my wife to translate. But, I can't count on her being able to help all the time because she's thinks forums are a waste of time.

I do post occasionally in Tagalog just to see how good I'm doing. But, it's very hard for me because I don't think in Tagalog. If posting gets too tedious then I get bored and lose interest. That's why I just post in English because it's the easiest language for me.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 26th, 2008 at 11:49 AM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    well said jun. that's my point exactly. i think it's better to post in the language you're most comfortable with. somtimes though, i'm perplexed when some posters try so hard to post in english. it's not like there's an unspoken rule here that posts should be in english only.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    there is a personal rule that i follow. i will most of the time answer a post in the language that the thread starter used, english, tagalog or taglish. or i will use the language of the poster i am answering, like if i quote someone's post. also i look at the previous posts. if majority of the posts are in one language then i just follow the tide. my assumption is that since most of the people following the thread are using that language then it will be better if i convey my thoughts in the same language that the majority of them are comfortable with.

but then there are threads that it does not really matter. or when the thought i have is better conveyed in one language. these are exemptions though.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    i practice my english here in tsikot that's why i post in english hehehe

pero seryoso, lalo na pag parts ng sasakyan, ang hirap minsan mag translate. parang sa pagtuturo ng math at science, merong mga technical terms na walang katumbas sa salitang filipino.

nway, ok din naman taglish dito. personally ok din yung mejo carabao english (for entertainment hehehe)

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    good rule yebo. it's just sad that some on this forum continue to use english even if it (their english) is barely understandable. that defeats the purpose of posting i believe. on one hand i give props to them for trying but on the other hand i'd rather they posted in a language they're more comfortable with. i guess it's time to throw away our notion of "english being an elite language". it's just an ordinary language that follows certain rules (grammar, sentence construction).

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I primarily post in English because that way emotions can't easily be expressed. Knowing how Pinoys are, we can become temperamental and sensitive to these things, so in effect I'm avoiding personal conflicts that way. However, doing so still makes sensitive people respond differently, but at least I did it in a neutral way.

However, some threads like technical discussions are best written in English to convey proper terminologies rather than just to say it in Taglish, as some words in English can be translated differently to Tagalog. I mean how do you say "compression is low" when talking about an impending engine overhaul?

Major off topic threads can be done in either language, masmasarap din siya minsan.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Basta ako i just have to get my point across.

There are times english works best

There are times tagalog works best

Meron kasi mga words, phrases, concepts, and ideas that are exclusive to tagalog or exclusive to english

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    good rule yebo. it's just sad that some on this forum continue to use english even if it (their english) is barely understandable. that defeats the purpose of posting i believe. on one hand i give props to them for trying but on the other hand i'd rather they posted in a language they're more comfortable with. i guess it's time to throw away our notion of "english being an elite language". it's just an ordinary language that follows certain rules (grammar, sentence construction).
    The notion that English is an elite language only stems from the old Pinoy psyche that use of foreign language is elitist. I never found it that way, and if I spoke in English and my friends commented on it I just keep silent because they don't understand. When you're in any other country (that speaks some other language other than English), speaking in English might/will get you around, so how can that be elitist?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    i totally agree mbeige. that thing about english being an elite language - sad but true.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
TO post in english or not, that is the question