New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Manila, Philippines (The Adobo Chronicles) - Filipinos are known to be among the most, if not the most warm and hospitable people in the world. This trait has recently been confirmed by a worldwide survey conducted by the World Travel Association (WTA).

WTA surveyed one million frequent travelers from the Americas, Europe, Asia and other continents. The single- question survey asked “Which of the countries you have visited in the past year has extended to you the warmest welcome?” The Philippines topped the list in the survey.

Survey respondents were in agreement that their warm welcome experience happened as soon as they landed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). Upon disembarking from the plane and entering the airport terminal, they said they were immediately greeted by entertainers singing hit songs like ‘Gangnam Style.’ The warm atmosphere was further enhanced by the non-functioning airconditioning units at NAIA, making the temperature inside the terminal feel almost twice the heat and humidity outside. The average temperature in Manila during the summer months is 34 degrees celsius or 94 degrees fahrenheit.

Philippine Transportation Secretary Jun Abaya said he was elated over this new honor bestowed upon the Philippines and “extremely proud of the work by airport authorities.” He commended NAIA General Manager Jose Angel Honrado for creating a warm atmosphere at the airport.

In the light of this new survey, the Department of Tourism (DOT) has decided to change its campaign meme of “It’s More Fun in the Philippines” to “The Philippines: Hot as an Oven!” “A visit to the Philippines is a life-changing experience that starts right at NAIA,” DOT said.
    Share ko lang po .

Source

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Last April pa iyan hell hole... Tip: upon check in at NAIA 1, go straight to the MIASCOR lounge... Working aircon, complimentary food and drinks if you have a Citibank card or any CC that is accepted there. And hope it's not crowded...

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Last April pa iyan hell hole... Tip: upon check in at NAIA 1, go straight to the MIASCOR lounge... Working aircon, complimentary food and drinks if you have a Citibank card or any CC that is accepted there. And hope it's not crowded...

There's no airconditioning in T1 since April?!? And I thought it couldn't get worse...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    There's no airconditioning in T1 since April?!? And I thought it couldn't get worse...
    A lot of passengers have passed out from the heat already

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    di ba nung dumalaw si pnoy sa t1, sabi nya konting tiis lang daw........

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    konting tiis lang.

That's another sentence we Pinoys should stop saying.:D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    In the Check-In/Lobby Area going to the Immigration Counter wala but in the Waiting Lounge meron naman at some portion of the renovations are done.

We travel 10 days ago flying Etihad.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    What do you expect from any goverment run facility... all excuses and lack of everything.

NAIA 1 mess is anti-Filipino | Business, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

NAIA 1 mess is anti-Filipino
    DEMAND AND SUPPLY By Boo Chanco (The Philippine Star) | Updated May 19, 2014 - 12:00am

The gross mismanagement of NAIA is anti-Filipino, unpatriotic. No Filipino who loves his country will inflict such suffering on fellow Filipinos. Anyone who subjects the country and our people to international ridicule for having the worst or near worst airport worldwide has to be anti-Filipino.

I caught the replay of Karen Davila’s interview of DOTC Sec. Jun Abaya last week where he blamed the non-functioning air conditioners to government procurement policies. It takes nine months to get anything, he pointed out, compared to private companies where things can be purchased right away.

I was about to totally lose my respect for SecJun but he quickly caught himself and added that a government manager who is aware of the procurement lag time should plan ahead and request for things way in advance. He stopped short of blaming the NAIA GM for failing to do that, the reason why NAIA is now a hell hole.

Sayang. If only Karen was better informed, she could have pointed out that the air conditioning problem was not new. It existed even before the Aquino administration took office. GM Bodet Honrado knew the problem on Day One but did nothing.

In fact, all three NAIA terminals have been having that problem on and off. SecJun must remember I once texted him to tell him Terminal 3 was hot as an oven and that was exactly a year ago. Terminal 2 had similar problems but Ramon Ang made a quick decision to just let Philippine Airlines quickly repair and replace problem air conditioners (and back up power system too) even if there is no assurance the airline would be reimbursed by the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA). It didn’t take nine months.

GM Honrado had been managing or rather, he had been mismanaging NAIA for almost four years now. Any boss who still accepts his excuses for failure must by now take full responsibility for the underling’s mess.

Business ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1
    I found it amusing that SecJun told Karen he has ordered NAIA management to do stop gap measures like buying whatever air conditioning packages they can get their hands on and do it quickly. Emergency purchases, in other words. Nothing warms the cockles of the corrupt bureaucrat’s heart than thoughts of overpriced goods justified by emergency needs.

I have been told that inducing an emergency situation had been a usual practice of many bureaucrats including or probably, specially those at NAIA. There were even suggestions that they may have deliberately caused facilities like air conditioners to malfunction so emergency purchases can be made.

If GM Honrado cannot manage NAIA, why does he insist on being there? I say it is unpatriotic to be inept in a way that compromises the quality of service delivery to the public. And it is unpatriotic of P-Noy to knowingly keep a friend who lacks the competence to hold public office.

I am embarrassed and angered by NAIA. I don’t know of any Filipino, perhaps even Honrado himself, who is not embarrassed by the state of affairs at NAIA.

I caught an interview of Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima on TV Patrol and when he was asked about what delegates to the World Economic Forum would think about the Philippines after seeing and experiencing NAIA, I sensed Purisima was embarrassed too.

But since he is a cabinet member, Purisima tried to respond the best way he can. He quipped that in other countries they get excited with heat. I guess he was trying to be funny in a sarcastic kind of way. He should have said that Tourism Secretary Mon Jimenez asked Honrado to give the delegates a warm welcome and Honrado is just being efficiently compliant.

Sec. Purisima cannot in all seriousness believe what he said that the WEF delegates will take the NAIA mess as an indication that things are moving on and progress is being made. As I said, it has been almost four years… if it is only now that such slow movement is happening, something is terribly wrong.

I doubt WEF delegates will look kindly at the NAIA mess. Adequate infrastructure is one of WEF’s indicators for competitiveness. The last time they measured 148 countries, we were 84th on transport infrastructure in general, 113th in airports and 116th in seaports. Totally pathetic!

Last year’s WEF conference in Asia was held in Myanmar. Phons Ang, one of my FB friends, just posted some pictures of the airport and it looked nothing like NAIA and best of all, it had air conditioning. Myanmar could have had the excuse that they are just starting to get things done now. Our infrastructure, on the other hand, have deteriorated over the last 30 years.

No wonder, when I posted pictures from a brochure of San Miguel Corporation on their proposed new airport for Metro Manila, the response was almost totally positive. But they want to know how long it will take for this dream to happen.

I share their excitement and expectation but I am afraid I am not that hopeful. I am sure it won’t happen if DOTC SecJun Abaya and his bureaucratic crew have anything to say about it. Sec Jun already said that they don’t favor this kind of initiative from the private sector.

But really, it makes no sense for government to block such an initiative because 1) we need such an airport, like yesterday; 2) DOTC cannot build anything like it in a dozen years and 3) government cannot manage any such facility if present experience in NAIA is any indication.

Besides, what is there to lose? San Miguel will risk its own capital and money borrowed from willing lenders here and abroad. The land that will be used is privately owned. All that the government must concern itself with is compliance with international aviation rules (CAAP), environmental impact and over all safety considerations for the building and the reclaimed land.

Ramon Ang told me that he had presented his plan to P-Noy and he is hopeful. But RSA is always hopeful. Unless P-Noy makes it clear he wants it done, I am sure the DOTC mafia will shoot it down.

But it is good news P-Noy liked RSA’s proposal to add another runway at NAIA that is doable within a year or so depending on how fast government acts. As I reported in this column some weeks ago, RSA showed me a drawing based on Google Map and pointed out where a second runway can be constructed within ICAO specifications.

The second runway will drastically reduce congestion and extend the useful life of NAIA by ten years or so. Most of the land already belongs to government. There is a smaller patch of land that may have to be expropriated or taken back from informal settlers. I see the squatter problem here as less of a real problem if P-Noy is determined to do something big before he leaves office.

But if P-Noy wants to really leave a legacy with impact beyond his term, he has to go with RSA’s new international airport. It will not be finished before 2016 but if they move fast enough, people can already see it taking shape.

For the World Economic Forum happening here this week, it is best to keep expectations low. Public Works Sec Babes Singson talked of showcasing our infrastructure projects, as if!

Singson got carried away: “We want to show that infrastructure projects really make a difference in economic development like in Singapore and Malaysia. They can see how much they can invest in infrastructure and they can really be assured that the Philippines has an understanding of what they are investing in.”

Sorry to burst your bubble, Sec Singson but the first thing they will see is NAIA 1. The credibility of whatever else you tell them afterwards will be measured against their actual warm experience at NAIA 1 and conclude this government’s infra talk is just a lot of hot air.

Lucky for us, San Miguel came out with their airport plans. I suggest that the colorful airport brochure be given to every delegate. That should help mitigate the horror of the NAIA 1 they personally experienced with the promise of a new modern airport proposed by and to be managed by the private sector.

The San Miguel airport is a big audacious project for us. And we need one such big audacious project to cheer us up and convince us all is not lost and we Pinoys have what it takes to do grand infrastructure like this.

I share the view of Roy Golez who quickly posted his full support for RSA’s proposal on Facebook. “While the economy is moving, it’s not dramatic enough. What we need is a BIG DREAM, a BIG, WORLD CLASS DREAM. We need to DREAM BIG again and this is a doable BIG DREAM. What are we waiting for?????”

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    NAIA Named as the ?World?s Best Airport to Faint In? | So, What's News?

NAIA Named as the “World’s Best Airport to Faint In”
    Posted on May 24, 2014

MANILA, Philippines – The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 is finally named the “World’s Best Airport to Faint In” for the very first time.

Travel website Fainting In Airports has released the results of its Best and Worst Airports to Faint In for 2014, and the Philippines’ main gateway was voted as the world’s most ideal airport to lose consciousness in.

The rankings were based on the following criteria:

Comfort: Tiled flooring ensures cranial impact upon losing consciousness is as hard as ever.

Convenience: Lack of proper ventilation and air-conditioning guarantees black-out for the uninitiated.

Customer Service: Attentive medical emergency workers revives passengers free of charge as well as throwing in a free blood pressure check.

Value Added Service: Justifying the unjust travel tax is a free bottle of water and sandwich for the fainthearted after being brought back to life.

In the website’s page for NAIA 1, Internet user “suffocatingcat123″ said, “at this airport everything seems to have been done to make the experience as memorable as possible for exhausted people who would suffocate to death .”

Malacañang welcomed the accolade given to the country’s airport, crediting the secretary of the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC), Joseph Abaya for a job well done.

“We made sure that fainting in our airports is as easy as 1-2-3,” said Abaya. “Another reason for Filipinos to be proud of.”

He added, “Reports claiming that deliveries of four new air-con units by September and renting of such equipment for the meantime to alleviate passenger’s suffering are definitely not true.

Abaya reiterated that the government worked so hard to achieve this recognition and assured the public that the NAIA would still be in the running for the “World’s Best Airport to Faint In” come 2015 and beyond.

For transparency purposes, we’d like to clarify that the Ninoy Aquino International Airport was the only one in the running for this year’s poll.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I visited the Philippines last year. I think the A/C still worked. What about that second floor Jollibee at the greeting area? There was A/C there. When I couldn't find my relatives, that's where I sat down and waited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
World hospitality survey: Philippines ranks number one in warmest welcome to visitors