New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was wondering if a traveller lost his passport due to airplane accidents or emergencies, how will one continue with his travels or go back home?

The crash landing of Emirates EK521 yesterday got me thinking about the travel documents since one cannot bring their belongings during evacuation from the plane. The Emirates B777 got burned heavily and I would think a lot of the passengers' belongings were consumed by fire.
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Contact the nearest embassy so they can issue you new ones and or facilitate your repatriation.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    AFAIK embassy can provide documents to serve as a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How fast will the Philippine Embassy issue such travel documents?
    Signature

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    For temporary ones, almost immediately. Naisip ko rin yan nung nasa Japan ako after the 2011 tsunami and my apartment was next to the harbor. So I kept all my family's important documents in my university work table along with a go bag of clothes, blanket, food and water since its the tallest building in the area. I also instructed my wife to grab her wallet with her alien card and head for my school immediately after a large earthquake.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Funny, but, in plane emergencies, your passport is the last thing on your mind.

The outpouring of help after the emergency coming from the airlines, the government of the country where the incident happened, your own government will take good care of your passport.

As common carriers, airlines are required to exercise EXTRAORDINARY diligence in the transport of their passengers to their destination. Failing which is a breach of contract of carriage making them liable to you. Thus, facilitating your passport is the LEAST that they can do. It is their obligation. It is not your look out anymore. You don't have to bring or keep photocopies of anything. Just be happy you are alive.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Always have a scanned copy of your passport with relevant visas in a remotely accessible location like your email or cloud. In emergencies like the one you mentioned this should allow you to board a plane going home and will facilitate the issuance of a new one from the embassy. Have a copy of your birth certificate there also.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i use a narrow and compact "sling" bag that goes over my chest. flight attendants never bothered me to stow it away.

inside are cash, travel documents, flashlight, emergency meds, basic first aid, phones, mp3 player, earphones, etc.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    i use a narrow and compact "sling" bag that goes over my chest. flight attendants never bothered me to stow it away.

inside are cash, travel documents, flashlight, emergency meds, basic first aid, phones, mp3 player, earphones, etc.
    Ditto, though mine is a little bigger. I have a PacSafe bag with passport, money, tooth brush and tooth paste, underwear and t-shirt, emergency meds, tab, phone, power bank with flash light, charger, earphones.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my cellphone has a picture of my passport page. i consult it whenever i have to fill up those entry and exit forms in the plane.
    i also have a xerox of it in my buddy bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast