New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Anyone here been to Vietnam and Cambodia?
    Care to share you travel experiences and tips for these two countries?
    What travel agency is specializing in tour packages for these countries?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Boss Boybi,

What do you want to know?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Any place worth seeing in Vietnam, particulary in Ho Chi Minh?

In Cambodia, I'm interested in going to Ankor Wat.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Vietnam? Lots although if you want to see the real Vietnam, prepare to "live" a backpacker's life. Ho Chi Minh? Cu Chi tunnels. These tunnels were used by the Vietcong during the Vietnam war. Interesting place to visit but if you're even a bit claustrophobic, better avoid it. That city is kind of messy but man, it is a vibrant city. Coffee and pho is fantastic. Cao Dai temple was nice. If you're up to it, touring the city using a rented bicycle would be an interesting experience. If you want to see French colonial architecture, there's the central post office. Tiangge? Chao Ben Tranh is the place to visit. Best place to visit is during the dry season (December to March, I think) as the place could get messy during the wet season. But if you're okay with Metro Manila during the wet season, then Ho Chi Minh won't be a problem. Motorcycle traffic in that city is hell at times so watch it.

From Ho Chi Minh, you can fly to Angkor. 1.5 hours air travel if I am not mistaken. Best place to visit is the dry season. Recommended place of stay, Molly Malone's. Pub con hotel with an Irish flair, although a lot of nice hotels. If you want to explore the entire, and I mean the entire, Angkor complex then you need to spend at least 2 days. However, if you want the basic tourist stuff then one whole day(early morning to early evening) will suffice. Best spot in Angkor? There's a hill there overlooking the temple complex. Go there during sundown and you'll see a nice view of the complex during sunset. Nice colors. Perfect for photographs.

Food at both places is relatively cheap. Mind the bottled water though i.e. careful what brand/kind you buy. Going back to food, food is fantastic there but if you're into street food, be careful as a lot of places are unsanitary. But if you're up for a gastronomical adventure and if you have a stomach made from lead, then street food will be a nice adventure for you. It was for me.

At Angkor, they accept three currencies: US dollar, Thai baht and Khmer riel. Most establishments prefer the US greenback but mind the change after you pay as the change is usually a mix of US dollars and Khmer riel, with a few bills of Thai baht mixed at times.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks nic.

Will it be easy and safe to do a DIY tour of the 2 places? Or I should just book a package tour with the travel agency? But I don't know any travel agency that have such a tour.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    yup, the Cu Chi tunnel tour at Ho Chi Minh would be a nice experience. You will be impressed by the vietcong's ingenuity ... you would probably spend 3 hours in the area.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Boss Boybi,

DIY tour of Ho Chi Minh and Angkor is safe and easy. My best bud and his family recently did that and they found it exciting. Cheaper too, compared if they did the travel agency thing.

I do that all the time when I travel (alone or family) - DIY travel. I usually book flights and hotels on-line. For hotel booking, I usually go to Booking.com. That Molly Malone's Pub and Hotel that I recommended has a website. In general, Angkor and Ho Chi Minh are safe places to travel but like all cities, they have "undesirables". You know what I mean.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If we'll do a DIY tour, does the hotels offer any local tours?

Which hotels in Ho Chi Minh will you recommend?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    As far as I remember, yes they do BUT you need to specify that you want them to arrange a local tour for your when you book.

Ho Chi Minh hotels...hmmm...Hotel Continental is one. Right smack in the middle of things. Thao Dien Village is another. I like Thao Dien because it's a colonial style hotel and has an extensive spa. The downside is that it's a bit far from the city centre. Golden Hotel Saigon/Golden Saigon Hotel (I can't remember). It's near the Ben Tranh.

For Angkor (Siem Reap), I usually stay at Molly Malones but there are a lot of nice hotels there. check out www.booking.com
    Last edited by nicolodeon; July 22nd, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    If we'll do a DIY tour, does the hotels offer any local tours?

Which hotels in Ho Chi Minh will you recommend?
    Have stayed and have friends in both countries and must say try the road less traveled as well. Had a great time firing russian ordnance and driving a tank around Phnom Penh but from the sound of it you may be looking at going straight to Siem Reap from HCMC right? Can't recall who flies direct. Also when in Saigon check Le Parc near the big park. It is run by a French friend of mine and she curses well in Pinoy. Also in Siem Reap check out a quaint Euro run hotel that has a name like "Secret of the Elephants"

Watch out for pickpockets in HCMC's District 1 near apocalypse and the monkey bar has some interesting low life behavior. I can also recall the backpacker area had some cheaper hotels and interesting nightlife at HCMC. Underrated is the Norfolk which is walking distance from most places.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Vietnam and Cambodia