New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    During Ancient times (Persian and Egyptian Empires), Antiquities ( Helenistic Period--Alexander the Great) and the early part of the Medieval period----commanding vast lands from the borders of Persia (Iran) to the Himalayas to the borders of Indochina and with more than 5,000 years of continuous civilization--they are known as the superpowers of Asia. Alexander the Great and even Marco Polo--were astonished by the wealth and advance but mystic civilizations of these giants....

With a brief hiatus during the Age of Discovery until the end of Cold War---China and India are back and are slowly regaining their status as the Giants of Asia.

With the spectacular economic growth of China and India since the 1990s, economists around the world are predicting that China and India will again dominate and lead the so-called Asia-Pacific Century....

As a micro state.....are we going to compete with these Asian economic colossus or just cooperate with them.......

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    cooperation and healthy economic competition.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    compete or cooperate?

We are already competing with them... and with every country in the world. Last time i checked, we are still part of the global economy...

China leads the world in manufacturing. China is the world's factory. As far as our manufacturing sector is concerned, we dont stand a chance. Many countries dont stand a chance.

India leads the world when it comes to business process outsourcing. But we are very close behind. This is one area where we can actually win. We can become number one in BPO.

But... considering where India is right now, they still couldnt get majority of its people out of poverty.

So even if we reach India's standing, there will still be a lot of poor people.

Even China... much of their people is still poor.

here's a recent article from International Herald Tribune about India... very interesting: http://iht.com/articles/2007/07/16/opinion/edmehta.php

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    [quote=uls;861381]But... considering where India is right now, they still couldnt get majority of its people out of poverty.

So even if we reach India's standing, there will still be a lot of poor people.

Even China... much of their people is still poor.

China and India are very old countries. Ang difference siguro ay walang caste system sa China pero grabe sa India. Pag kabilang ka sa pinakamababa at yun yung pinakamarami sa kanila..condemned ka nang mahirap habang buhay....1 billion--ilan kaya dun ang mga untouchables....

China, marami ng yumayaman lalo na sa Coastal areas nila....inner Mongolia, na ku dami parin mahirap.... 1.3 billion ba naman..

Ang similarity natin sa mga giants na ito ay marami din tayong mahihirap na kababayan. Ang India, ang mayaman, lalong yumayaman. Sa China, ganun din.

Sa PInas lalo na. Walang kapital. wala. walang lupa.wala.Tumataas daw GNP, pero sabi ng SWS, lalong dumadami ang mahirap sa bansa...

Anyway....

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Industrial development depends on how much we spend on research and development. Dapat maganda din ang environment for R and D.

sa india, daming PhD graduates nila bumabalik from the US. boom ang R and D malamang sa India.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    India is indeed becoming a world economic power. Mittal, a steel firm owned by an Indian industrialist is gobbling steel plants in Europe.

In the Philippines, an Indian multinational firm took over the largest steel mill in the country.

China, on the other hand, is flexing her economic muscles...In the Philippines, Chinese firms are beginning to make in roads...

Globally, China is the best performer among "developing countries" .....

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    being Giants, you have more to lose.

being David, you have less to lose. compete tayo hehehe

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Cooperate then compete. Learn muna from them, then start hinting. Tapos make your major move. Kaso base sa economy natin ngayon, mukhang pang 2200 na mangyayari yun or pag may MRT na papuntang Jupiter.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    The Philippines it seems is becoming one of the favorites of Chinese development loans, credit facilities and investments...

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Dear Tsikot colleagues,
    Some of the comments regarding Chinese manufacturing capability posted on this thread make me sad when I read them so I want to put the record straight.
    Take it from me as the Director of Engineering in a joint Taiwanese/US owned manufacturing facility, living and working in mainland China that they are successful in the world marketplace mainly because of the greed of western employees basically pricing themselves out of the market.
    Why do I think you should listen to me....well my position within the company (and I'm talking about a US$400 million operation now with 7 factories from Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, Ningbo and Shunde as well as Hong Kong) gives me quite a responsibility for product development and quality.

However the Chinese ability at inovation is extremely limited, in fact almost non-existant. The only thing that the Chinese are good at it COPYING.

I have personally seen more talent, more creativity and more dedication to quality here in Philippines than China, and recent news reports about the safety of imported products from there should not be taken lightly!
    Consider this fact - They will find the cheapest possible material to manufacture something from irrespective of it's suitability for the task. I know this because I have to source components full time and it is an extremely frustrating task maintaining a reliable quality flow. What you see may look like what you expect, but that is where the similarity ends.

It saddens me because of the tremendous talent you have here at your disposal and the abundance of cheap labour (actually cheaper than China). Part of my new brief is to scout throughout the Philippines as an alternative source for my company's products. Believe me when I say that I am on your side!
    I am relishing the thought of the Philippines becoming the next Asian super centre for world trade. You certainly have it in your capability. All that is needed is the political willpower and determination.

For the record, I am English and have a fabulously beautiful Pilipino wife and a home in Palawan.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
The Asian Superpowers are Back--China and India: RP, compete or cooperate?