New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Guys please advise the do's and don'ts in using an automatic transmission car. Say can i change shift from D to 2 or D to 1 while on the run, whats the difference of each shift, or how to use the O/D, can i turn it on and off while driving and on what speed.

thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danieyoyo View Post
    Guys please advise the do's and don'ts in using an automatic transmission car. Say can i change shift from D to 2 or D to 1 while on the run, whats the difference of each shift, or how to use the O/D, can i turn it on and off while driving and on what speed.

thanks
    Just shift to D everything is automatic. Use 2 only if the road inclination are more than 15 deg., icy, muddy. Shift 1 same as 2 only much slower speed.
    Do not use your tranny for engine brake thats a no no. Your brake pads is much cheaper than your transmission. Take my word's and your tranny will happy to serve for the life of your car.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    so i have to stop first before transition from D to 2?

how about D to 1?

can i turn the O/D while on run? at what rate can i use it?

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Just remember this, I say's that upshifting in an auto is ok, but downshifting may cause problems further down the line. On the O/D.
    Generally speaking, overdrive (OD) is the highest gear in the transmission. Most automatic transmissions have three speeds and overdrive (fourth speed). Overdrive allows the engine to operate at a lower rpm for a given road speed. This allows the vehicle to realize better fuel efficiency, and often quieter operation on the highway. When you switch it on, you allow the transmission to shift into overdrive mode after the certain speed is reached (usually 70+ km/h ~ 45+ mph) depending on the load). When it is off, the transmission shifting is limited to the lower gears. For normal driving conditions, operation of the overdrive should be enabled only if the average speed is above 70 km/h (approx. 43 MPH). It may be necessary to switch it off if the vehicle is being operated in a mountainous area.

The automatic transmission automatically shifts from OD to third gear when more load is present. When less load is present, it shifts back to OD. Under certain conditions, e.g.: driving uphill or towing a trailer, the transmission may "hunt" between OD and the third gear, shifting back and forth. In this case, switching it off can help the transmission to 'decide'. It may also be advantageous to switch it off if engine braking is desired, for example, driving downhill. The vehicle's owner's manual has information and procedures regarding such situations.

Take care your tranny.....again brake is cheaper.

Using A/T