New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    With normal use and proper maintenance, what would you say is the average life expectancy of an automatic transmission?

Would it be realistic to expect a typical 10-year old vehicle with AT to still be reliable and operate properly?

The reason I'm asking is the tempting price of early 2000s Ford Escapes, with the 3.0 V6 XLTs in particular. They seem value for money on paper with leather seats, a sunroof, 4X4, and modern safety features for around 250K. It seems that Ford only released AT versions so I have no choice. This would be my first AT if ever I decide to push thru.

Gas consumption aside, can I expect trouble-free ownership or will I be buying a money pit?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    With proper maintenance it should last the life of the car.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Don't know about Fords. I did keep an AT 1995 V6 Ford Contour until 2008. The original AT still worked up to that point. I have a 2006 Sonata V6 I bought back in 2005. So, it's over 10 years old. It still accelerates to 60 mph below 7 seconds. In fact, it seems to accelerate smoother now compared to when it was still new.

One thing I noticed with the AT is the car is harder to abuse unlike a MT which I can easily red-line and bust the engine gaskets if I'm in the mood. An AT will simply not let me do the same. That's why there is the perception AT cars have less performance than their MT counterparts. But, they're also less prone to abuse by the driver.

I have yet to see any part replacement for the AT of my Sonata and I've been abusing it almost daily for the past 10 years.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    it's not years but the mileage. but 10 year old 3.0 v6? i'm more concerned with the FC.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    2010 was the year got my 2nd hand lovelife 99 gli a/t at 112thou km . After 13yrs, reverse started acting up, problem was it took 10min to engage the reverse from a cold start. After that no problem with the tranny.

After 15 years problem is still here, no amount of flushing cured it and im still coping with the tranny since it only happens on cold starts.

I got a new vios 1.5 a/t. Its indicated in the manual that under normal condition, fluid does not need to be change.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibby75 View Post
    2010 was the year got my 2nd hand lovelife 99 gli a/t at 112thou km . After 13yrs, reverse started acting up, problem was it took 10min to engage the reverse from a cold start. After that no problem with the tranny.

After 15 years problem is still here, no amount of flushing cured it and im still coping with the tranny since it only happens on cold starts.

I got a new vios 1.5 a/t. Its indicated in the manual that under normal condition, fluid does not need to be change.
    I think it says inspect at 40k or 50k? Toyota replaces that for severe-condition countries like pinas.

BTT

for properly maintained trannies 300k is doable.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Buying 10+ year-old A/T cars is "like a box of chocolates", to borrow a popular phrase. It is somewhat difficult to determine how the vehicle was driven or taken cared of, much less, ascertain the condition of the A/T. I guess you can do a few things:

1. Check service records
    2. Check the fluid quality (but which is never conclusive)
    3. Check for evidence of leaks
    4. Test drive

Most issues not apparent during inspection will likely come out during the test drive. Try to feel the shift quality. Under normal driving, it shouldn't give you shift hesitation, delays or slippage, regardless of engine temp. Work through all the A/T shift positions and modes (if equipped) like O/D off/on, ECT, engine braking, etc. and make certain that they're all working.

Research beforehand all the features of the car you're trying to purchase.
    Last edited by oj88; November 9th, 2015 at 07:58 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    V6 nga pala...forget it hahaha.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006

Eto nakasulat sa dipstick ng vios, no need to change under normal driving condition.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    you don't want to skip atf changes. is this your first car?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast