New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    during traffic ( let say 15 second roll and 15 second stop ) do i have to stick it in drive mode or do i have to shift from drive to neutral , neutral to drive? corolla 2000 gli A/T

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    For an automatic, 15-second stops are too short for you to shift to neutral. But for stop-and-go, may be possible but stressful.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Kung 15 second lang okay lang sa drive kung talagang traffic shift to neutral .

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Kung 15 second lang okay lang sa drive kung talagang traffic shift to neutral .
    but is there no damage done to the tranny though if you do d-n-d at traffic no matter how long is the stand off?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lancer5790 View Post
    but is there no damage done to the tranny though if you do d-n-d at traffic no matter how long is the stand off?
    "Wear" is a more appropriate term rather than "damage". There will be slight wear and tear to the transmission every time you shift gears (D to N to D) but this is very minimal when the vehicle is at a standstill. There is greater wear when you shift from D to N and vice versa when the vehicle is in motion. An exception to this is when you encounter an uphill climb and you shift from [D]rive to D2 or L for extra power.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicVTi View Post
    "Wear" is a more appropriate term rather than "damage". There will be slight wear and tear to the transmission every time you shift gears (D to N to D) but this is very minimal when the vehicle is at a standstill. There is greater wear when you shift from D to N and vice versa when the vehicle is in motion. An exception to this is when you encounter an uphill climb and you shift from [D]rive to D2 or L for extra power.
    speaking of "wear", what parts are to be replaced when an AT goes sliding due to wear? is it like the MT that there is a clutch lining, pressure plate and release bearing to be replaced?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    As far as I know, the whole clutch will need replacing if wear is excessive.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    As far as I know, the whole clutch will need replacing if wear is excessive.
    like dispossable? yikes!!!!

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    kaya nga matic.. just leave it in "D"

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    kaya nga matic.. just leave it in "D"
    Nahi-high-blood si Q! :hihihi:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
A/T shifting during traffic