New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    - 1992 Galant MPI
    - A/T

The Problem

- It doesnt seem to have that juice anymore, i would need to really press the Gas pedal for it to at least pick-up the speed on the highway. Most of the time, i have to press on the Power switch (from Econo) to get the pull I had before with Econo. It drives like the handbrake was on

- On city driving, the idle suddenly drops when i release the gas and i can definitely feel the speed drop just like i stepped on the brakes. While breaking on slow speeds, (from 30kph) i can defintiely feel the tranny down-shifts

- overall highway speed is also affected. before, at 2000rpm i should be at 100kph, but now, it needs to be in 2300rpm before i get the same speed. 3000rpm also used to give me 140kph, now it only runs at around 130kph at the same idle.

- i do get the occasional slipping (overrev) while running at highspeed.

What has been done:

- drain old fluid and cleaned the filter (my worry is, was the wrong fluid used before? they only placed 3 liters af ATF, should that be enough?)

I have a strange feeling its my tranny failing becuase the idle of the engine when in neutral picks-up just fine. Sobrang sakal lang ang power which eventually consumes more gas than usual...

Can you recommend a good shop? Do engine scanners and enginge diagnostics get A/T problems too?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    You can check on the dipstick automatic transmission fluid level if its full or not . Overfill is also not good on the transmission and use ATF that is reccomended on your auto manual . If its dirty change the fluid.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    dipstick is still red (i just flushed and changed the oil i think a month ago)

in terms of its fluid level, its in the line where it says hot, so i guess that means im not low on fuel. (should it be just enough, meaning it shouldnt go above the Hot mark?)

Any recommended shops that specializes in tranny repair? Its coming to a point that i'm just frustrated how it drives, it used to drive like a dream considering that its a 17yr old car... i wanted to change rims, shocks and repaint the bumpers sana pero malamang uunahin ko to... sayang... :-(

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    AT dipsticks can be deceiving because before when I was checking my Corona pag HOT ok on the mark. I did not know there is a ritual before you check.

Like in the Corona you have to put it on R, N, D, 2, L then back again to park and the engine should be running on a leveled ground at operating temperature. Sa civic ko naman as long it in operating temp go and check na kaagad. Nasanay ako sa civic. When I went to check the corona ayun nasa half mark.

By the way AT are ok naman to run on low oil but not on the low mark for a long period of time basta wag lang matuyuan.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    2001 Lancer GLS A/T (INVECS)

Binaha pala to, but gradual yung improvements ng performance; however, persistent pa din yung ibang symptoms after 2 months)

I'm also having similar problems:

* i feel the downshift is early, so you can feel it downshifting even if you just released the gas pedal
    * sometimes it "misses" the upshift (over-revving?) especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears
    * intermittent over-revving (minsan lang, up to 3000rpm)
    * my rpms at the highway: 2100 - 100kph; 2300 - 115kph
    * above symptoms are intermittent: sometimes meron, but at times naman malakas ang hatak... labo...
    * meron din na parang gyroscope sound coming from the hood when you step on the gas, pag tumataas yung rpm (but mechanics told me maybe this one is from the alternator...)

i changed the ATF twice already, wala namang amoy sunog at ok naman ang levels (i think). although pwede bang symptoms yan ng overload ng ATF? i also read somewhere na baka cable yung problem? please advise,

dami pa din talaga akong problema, hirap ng nabaha na kotse...

thanks a lot!

A/T Problem - Hessitation and Jerking