New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kentx View Post
    I'm currently at PARK (P), this is why I can still start my car. My idea is not to put the gear in Neutral (N), but to put it in Drive (D), while the car's ignition is already running in PARK (P) mode. While car in idle, mechanic then manually shift the lever switch (where one end of the cable is attached, hopefully it's accessible without removing lots of parts first) in the transmission case (if it's possible without causing danger to his life- just need to make sure, BRAKE is stepped and Parking Brake is engaged), then the car will be in Drive (D) Mode, hopefully and not in Reverse (R) Mode...

As towing is not an option due to parking lot clearance issues. So I'll try to find a mechanic who has experience with remedying broken cables.
    Good luck with your idea

2. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Just an update, my car was already out of the basement parking lot.
    Turns out, the selector cable was not cut, but the bushing on one end of the cable (the one that goes to the shifter) got damaged/cracked. Because of the crack, the end of the cable got loose and popped out of it's socket in the Shifter. So what the mechanic did was just re-attached the cable to the socket of shifter, but since the bushing of cable is already broken, he put some Tie Wire to connect the end of the cable to the socket of the shifter. This temporary fix is just enough to have the car moving and out of the basement!

Now the problem is the bushing is not available for sale, I can probably have it fabricated, but too much trouble! so I just bought a new cable assembly even if only the bushing was the problem.

Thank you for all your responses, comments and ideas. Hope some other members can find idea/help in case they are faced with this kind of problem. Because according to the mechanic this kind of problem occurs very often to both automatic and manual transmission cars.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kentx View Post
    Just an update, my car was already out of the basement parking lot.
    Turns out, the selector cable was not cut, but the bushing on one end of the cable (the one that goes to the shifter) got damaged/cracked. Because of the crack, the end of the cable got loose and popped out of it's socket in the Shifter. So what the mechanic did was just re-attached the cable to the socket of shifter, but since the bushing of cable is already broken, he put some Tie Wire to connect the end of the cable to the socket of the shifter. This temporary fix is just enough to have the car moving and out of the basement!

Now the problem is the bushing is not available for sale, I can probably have it fabricated, but too much trouble! so I just bought a new cable assembly even if only the bushing was the problem.

Thank you for all your responses, comments and ideas. Hope some other members can find idea/help in case they are faced with this kind of problem. Because according to the mechanic this kind of problem occurs very often to both automatic and manual transmission cars.
    Because its just popped right in that shifter.. no locking pins! When the rubber got worn out, the shifter cable will eventually pop out. Same thing happened to our altis.. what I did is to put some shrinkable tube on the pole where the cable is attached. Then drilled thru the pole and fitted a small metal screw with washer to prevent the cable from popping out. Put some silicone grease as lubricant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12