New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    hi poh. quick question, mga sir. i would like to know kung bakit kelangan magdownshift kapag mago-overtake? eh diba dapat mas mabilis ka when overtaking? what happens if i do otherwise?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Not generally.

If your speed is sufficient to overtake without getting the oncoming vehicles in danger of a head-on collision with you, you don't need to downshift. You only need to downshift if you want more acceleration/power and you have to do it quickly. Of course, after downshifting, you do not maintain your current rpm or you'll slow down the vehicle (engine brake), you even need to press down on the accelerator more, to get the power you need to finish the overtake quickly.

yan ang gusto ko sa mga compacts with 2.0 MT, lesser down shifts kasi sa lakas ng torque kaya na i-over-take...

pag AT just press hard on the gas, then let the AT do its job...

and please, pag oovertake ka atleast do 20kph more than whomever you are overtaking... kung di mabubusit lang nasa likod mo at inilalagay mo pa sarili mo sa delikadong sitwasyon.

basta bago ka magovertake, judge your speed, pag pantay kayo, give more power(by down shifting 1 or 2 gears), verufy if clear, the enter... give all the power until you exit the overtaking stage.

ang problem lang ng overtaking kasi is the big dent in you FC because you'll push hard to enter and exit quickly..especially in the provincial roads

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    sa A/T i noticed pag mag overtake mas madali kung i release mo yung gas tsaka mo biglang ibabaon mas mabilis acceleration nya compared to just pressing the gas without first releasing it.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ah ganun ba technique sa a/t overtaking? nahihirapan ako mag-overtake sa a/t, kahit na pajero gamit ko. iba kasi ang hatak ng a/t sa m/t, imo

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    sa A/T i noticed pag mag overtake mas madali kung i release mo yung gas tsaka mo biglang ibabaon mas mabilis acceleration nya compared to just pressing the gas without first releasing it.
    I'd experiment this. I just rev hard when overtaking.

:coffee: [SIZE="1"]4106[/SIZE]

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Downshifting when overtaking gives more torque to the wheels than it would get if you maintained a higher gear. More torque gives you better acceleration and the overtaking maneuver will be accomplished quicker.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Advise ng ibang A/T drivers driving a turbocharged car, apak daw ng konti sa brake pedal while pressing the accelerator para bumilis ang spooling ng turbo giving more boost then sabay bitiw ng preno pag pwede na mag overtake.

the key is - power... pag bitin ka just wait ka nalang wag mo pilitin.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Di naman always, depende rin - kung libre naman meaning maluwag ang incoming lane pwede mag smooth pass - without changing gears. Downshifting is required kung medyo siksikan and medyo risky para makalagpas ka agad at makaiwas sa harap mo.

Overtaking ng bara-bara ang puno't dulo ng maraming aksidente. pati walang kasalanan nadadamay.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
downshifting when overtaking