New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hi fellow tsikoters...

I'm planning to buy an AT vehicle choices ko honda and toyota. maybe older models of City and Corolla ( 94 to 98).

just want to have a survey and expert advice on durability and maybe

alin model mas mahal ang maintenance ng aT.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    imho, mas safe bumili ng MT if ganyan na ang age ng auto. any AT vehicle ,5 years and older, are prone to certain damages na. what more for decade old vehicles. im no expert pero share ko lang kung nababasa ko dito sa tsikot sir.

BTT, ill got with the corolla.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Tama sha, delikado bumili ng AT na hindi bago sasakyan. Yung sa bayaw ko honda crv 2000 model pa, after 1 year of use ayun sari sari problema ng at nya ranging fron delayed shift to slipping when warm.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    If you want to be on the safe side, I'd agree, avoid old cars.

Pero kung marunong kang tumingin, malaki rin matitipid mo, maraming magagandang 2nd hand dyan, depende lang sa pag-alaga ng previous owners.

I have a 2k Corolla A/T, bought it when she was 7 years old. Wala pa ring problema hanggang ngayon. ;)

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    yup, depende din talaga sa alaga ng previous owner.. mine is Civic '97 VTi A/T.. ok pa naman... basta alaga lang tranny. when it comes to tranny, gamit ko talaga is OEM ATF--Honda.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Buying AT vehicles over 5 years old is a bit risky. If you've been driving an AT before, you'll probably know if the car you're buying is still ok or not. But if you have no previous experience with an AT, better bring someone trustworthy to assess the car for you.

In a nutshell, you can check the following:

1. Check the overall condition of the car - If the car is in a bad shape to start with, I don't think the owner would've given better attention to the AT.
    2. Service records that the ATF were regularly changed (among others) within the prescribed service interval
    3. Current ATF condition - It must be amber/red and clear... not muddy. And it should not have a burnt smell
    4. Mileage and where the car was usually driven (ie. City vs Highway) - Actually, just looking at the odometer doesn't say much about how the AT was treated or maltreated. But still, it'll give you an idea on the amount of component wear (ie. clutch packs)
    5. Check for traces of ATF leaks
    6. Test drive - Do stop and go as well as high speed (>80kph) road tests. There shouldn't be any strange noise, thrashing, hesitation, etc. Some whirring may be heard and can be normal or abnormal depending on how loud it is. The high speed run will tell you if the AT still goes through all the gears without slippage or too much shift-shock

HTH

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've driven automatic Lancer 1993 (the least liked in the group), City 1998, Mazdaspeed 323 1998, Toyota Hilux Surf 1996, City 2004 CVT, Accord 1988 (yeah, 20++ years old! sold na ito and last I heard killed by Ondoy flooding).

Which is better, well the 1988 US Accord ran and shifted so smoothly even when it was 20++ years old (at tumakbo pa SLEX at Coastal-Macapagal ng 80++ mph - miles po hindi kilometer). But the 1996 Hilux Surf (a Subic convert) also shifts smoothly and that thing is 14+ years old.

Mas worried pa ako sa CVT na City na 2004/2005 kesa sa lumang AT. It boils down to how it was maintained in the first place. Those cars were kept with the tranny fluid replaced every 6 months to a year max. Yung CVT naman every 2 years sa Honda (expensive!).

Sino Mahusay sa AT? toyota or honda