New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I'm sorry if this shouldn't be in this category.. I can't seem to find the right category for this thread...

Intro >
    Anyway. I'm kinda new to driving. It's been about 6 months or so. And I'm kinda new to bringing my own car. So I don't really have that much knowledge. And I learned mostly just by myself and looking at other drivers.

Question >
    I've found this out by myself. When approaching an intersection and when I'm about to turn right, I hit on the brakes, hit the clutch, and shift to neutral. Then I turn to the right, managing speed with the brakes. When I'm in position to go straight again, I shift to 1st gear and go on. I haven't noticed any driver doing things like these. The reason why I wanted to go to neutral is so that I won't have to bother with watching the RPM go down and having the engine turned off. Cause if I'm not in neutral, I'd have to hit the clutch when the RPM's really low so as not to have the engine stopped.

Any advices? Suggestion? I'd really appreciate it, thanks...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    I do it sometimes but it's better if you leave it in 2nd gear.. I dont use first gear pag umaandar pa yung oto ng mga 10mph. but if you know you're stalling then it's time to put it in neutral.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    afaik this will promote faster clutch wear n tear..

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBimmer
    afaik this will promote faster clutch wear n tear..
    what will promote faster clutch wear n tear?
    If I go to neutral? or if I just stay in 2nd gear?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    only put the gear into neutral if you are about to stop / stall.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    like gwapito, i don't shift to 1st gear when moving. i do manage my ride on the 2nd. but if you think your ride will stall while on 2nd gear, then go neutral. timplahan lang yan, and dapat kilala mo na ride mo.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the replies..

I guess I shouldn't be doing this... thanks...

how about if I'm going downhill and I shift to neutral? Is that still not ok? Do forgive me if I'm too stupid with this kind of things, I'm learning through friends and some drivers I know....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke XIII
    how about if I'm going downhill and I shift to neutral? Is that still not ok? Do forgive me if I'm too stupid with this kind of things, I'm learning through friends and some drivers I know....
    nope. don't shift to neutral when going downhill at a fast speed.

though you can do that when in heavy traffic.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    may I also ask why? Will it damage something?

hmm.. on heavy traffic that's what I've been doing though. When in "bumper to bumper" situation, from a stop I'll move to first gear and move a little and then I quickly go to neutral and slowly hit the brakes (assuming the car in front of me is stopping again).

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, you won't damage anything.

You'll ONLY have a degraded steering & braking capability. Not to mention that you won't have acceleration if you suddenly need it (like to avoid an obstacle / accident / etc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Quick shift to neutral.. is this good or bad driving?