New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2009
    I'll be dropping my A/T oil pan soon due to a dripping drain plug that won't tighten and removed from the pan. result is a torn and soft trannny support that have been producing vibrations at low and high speeds as well as affecting the power put on the wheels.

so what's your pick on these gaskets guys?

tia

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    kung ano yung original gasket mo yung gamitin mo... pero meron mga mechanic na malufet mag lagay ng gasket kahit yung gasket maker lang.... pag nakita mo yung lagay nya ng gasket akala mo factory installed...

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    i'd go for the asbestos.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    I'll be dropping my A/T oil pan soon due to a dripping drain plug that won't tighten and removed from the pan. result is a torn and soft trannny support that have been producing vibrations at low and high speeds as well as affecting the power put on the wheels.

so what's your pick on these gaskets guys?

tia
    paper tears too easy and is porous, cork is porous too. asbestos is no longer recommended because it causes asbestosis or mesothelioma. modern cars use FIPG (form in place gasket) or RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) sealant. it is neither porous nor easy to tear. when applied properly on clean and dry surface, it is liquid tight for as long as you own the car unless tampered with. it is more convenient, easy and faster way of sealing mating surfaces. when used on engine oil pan, it must be the oxygen sensor safe kind.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    ^yup. i'm aware of what asbestos does to your health....funny thing is that i changed the engine oil pan (just a couple of days ago) with the asbestos type. plus i've done clutch and brake replacement on tractors with the asbestos type of lining. what i can only do is use protective gloves and a dust mask.....asbestos is still around and in abundant supply here in RP. 3rd world but it's the reality and sometimes inevitable. another fact is that i'm a smoker too.

i think i'm going to use RTV then......accompanied by asbestos.hehehehehehehe

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    ^yup. i'm aware of what asbestos does to your health....funny thing is that i changed the engine oil pan (just a couple of days ago) with the asbestos type. plus i've done clutch and brake replacement on tractors with the asbestos type of lining.

what you can do for proper engineering procedure that minimizes your exposure to asbestos is wet cleaning method:
    for clutches, i usually squirt about a cupful of dishwashing detergent through the clutch shift fork boot and rinse with water while the engine is running until the rinse water is clear. collect the rinse water and flush down the toilet, not on the ground where it dries up and asbestos dust comes flying around exposing uniformed people.
    for brakes, i wrap the brake components in plastic trash bag. make two holes on it, one around the middle, the other hole around the bottom for drainage. use a garden sprayer and spray (wet) components that might contain brake dust with soapy water thru the hole in the middle of the plastic bag. catch the contaminated rinse water in a suitable container and dispose of in the sewer or toilet.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; April 12th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Paper, asbestos or cork gasket for A/T oil pan? which one is the best for use?