New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hi gurus! To those peeps who own a Civic EK, at what rpm and/or speed does your transmission usually change gears? Kelan ba masasabi that its over-revved na or if delayed ung shifting? What should be the normal figures? TIA mga boss!

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Just shift your gear to D everything is automatic. Do not play around your tranny like stickshift or it will cost you.

If you believe that your tranny has a problem of delayed shifting check your kick down cable or low on fluid. If you dont know how to do this then bring it to honda, they know better.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the input sir V6. I'm not actually trying to replicate stick shift gear changing on my A/T. I always leave it at D4 to have the OD on. Basically, what I'm wanting to know is how will you be able to say if your tranny has delayed shifting? Like if it would only shift gears once the tach reaches 4k RPMs. Would this be considered as normal?

When should a non-defective tranny shift from gear 1 through 4? Or is this a "depende sa tapak" kinda thing and there are no specific shift points. TIA mga sir!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by p0gs View Post
    Hi gurus! To those peeps who own a Civic EK, at what rpm and/or speed does your transmission usually change gears? Kelan ba masasabi that its over-revved na or if delayed ung shifting? What should be the normal figures? TIA mga boss!
    This is based on my 2000 Civic Vti a/t.

0-20 kph 1st gear

20 to 40 kph 2nd gear

40 to 60 kph 3rd gear

60 kph and above 4th gear

With regards to the rpm the 1st gear to 2nd gear would not get to 2000 rpm, 2nd gear to 3rd gear takes a longer rpm around 2,500 rpm before it shifts, the 3rd gear to 4th gear around 2000 rpm before shifting to 4th gear.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The shift points vary depending on the inputs from the throttle position sensor, engine load (MAP sensor), and speed.

In practical terms, if you very gradually step on the gas, shift points are at a lower RPM... usually around 2,000 RPM to attain better FE. If you pressed deeply on the gas (aggressive driving), shift points are delayed until about 4,000-4,500 RPM so you can exploit the engine's power band on each gear.

Normal gear shifting for Civic A/T?