New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Question lang po for tsikoteers who are 60 years old and beyond. Do you think late age will affect our preference for MT or AT transmission?

With the onset of arthritic joints particularly the knees or legs, the 'old' tsikoteers might have difficulties with the MT transmission.

Please share your experiences.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I think you already have it figured out.

However, my primary concern for A/T users for the elderly, is the strength of their right leg. See, if you can't step on the brake strongly, and the car is in gear (D), the car will keep moving. Combine that with increased response time (or slower reaction), and there's the potential for accidents. The older we get, the higher the risk.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i think manual transmission kung marunong naman para iwas antok and to keep their left leg equally active.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    For me im not that old but at young age i have a arthritic joint problem like gout from time to time my foot and knees are swollen and it really hurts it come in a unexpected time what ever im doing. Buti na lang my truck is A/T so it help i only need my right foot and if i can not fully step on the brakes i use my hand brakes for assistance, but for elderly medyo mabagal na ang reaction time.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dadz View Post
    For me im not that old but at young age i have a arthritic joint problem like gout from time to time my foot and knees are swollen and it really hurts it come in a unexpected time what ever im doing. Buti na lang my truck is A/T so it help i only need my right foot and if i can not fully step on the brakes i use my hand brakes for assistance, but for elderly medyo mabagal na ang reaction time.

Thanks Dadz for sharing. May I ask if your ride was an MT, do you think your handling of your truck would have been worse?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The best is to get a driver.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by willvill View Post
    Thanks Dadz for sharing. May I ask if your ride was an MT, do you think your handling of your truck would have been worse?
    ohhh yes worst before i use MT and im in makati out of the blue my gout stated acting up on my way home i just can't step on the clutch any more so i have no other choice but to park my truck and take a taxi home kesa naman maka disgracia because of the pain and im can not concentrate any more sa driving. Since then im only using AT kasi left side ko ang madalas na sumpugin, like yesterday and today my joint so painfull but i can still drive because im using AT.

I agree with bro horsepower kung kaya it is better to get a driver kasi bukod sa mahirap mag drive pag me joint problem plus the reaction time is talagang mabagal na.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    The best is to get a driver.
    +1 wag lang 60 yr old na driver

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    my grandpa who is already 80 years old is still driving his MT picanto. pumupunta pa sa mga lupain at bukid. i believe he is the oldest driver here in davao. he even takes of his glasses. saying na malinaw pa rin daw paningin niya.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Kung ano yung nakasanayan nung tao. If the 60 year old grew up with an MT, then dapat MT. (And vice versa)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MT or AT for 60 years old and beyond?