New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    m/t fluid for the toyota corolla xe 1999 model with the 1.3 carb engine...

can't seem to find the recommended fluid type sa manual... unlike honda na naka specify yung spec (10w-30 engine oil).

should i just let the petron guys fill it with whatever gear oil they have or is there a recommended fluid for this thing? clutch is fine and still malambot, but in the morning i'm having trouble shoving it in reverse or 1st gear. i'm guessing tuyo na yung fluid reservoir nya sa transmission (this car receives next to no maintenance apart from oil changes once a year... at daily beater pa. i love toyota cars... massively reliable).

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Transaxle gear oil
    Oil grade API GL–4 or GL–5
    Viscosity SAE 75W–90
    Capacity 2.6 liters (2.7 US qts, 2.3 Imp. qts)

and if a 4 wheel drive Corolla:
    Transaxle oil (M/T, differential and transfer):
    Recommended oil Transaxle oil E50
    (08885–80206) or equivalent
    Oil grade API GL–5
    Viscosity Above –181C (O°F) SAE
    75W–90, 80W–90 or 90
    Below –180C (O*F) SAE
    75W–90 80W–90 or 80W
    Capacity 5.0 liters
    (5.3 US qts, 4.4 Imp. qts)

Anyway, you'll need to look in your owners manual or call a toyota dealer. These day's they switch what they use in manual trannys too much. Once you find out what it is then just use a good name brand, and if you want to drive the car forever then use a synthetic version(just an opinion).

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Transaxle gear oil
    Oil grade API GL–4 or GL–5
    Viscosity SAE 75W–90
    Capacity 2.6 liters (2.7 US qts, 2.3 Imp. qts)

and if a 4 wheel drive Corolla:
    Transaxle oil (M/T, differential and transfer):
    Recommended oil Transaxle oil E50
    (08885–80206) or equivalent
    Oil grade API GL–5
    Viscosity Above –181C (O°F) SAE
    75W–90, 80W–90 or 90
    Below –180C (O*F) SAE
    75W–90 80W–90 or 80W
    Capacity 5.0 liters
    (5.3 US qts, 4.4 Imp. qts)

Anyway, you'll need to look in your owners manual or call a toyota dealer. These day's they switch what they use in manual trannys too much. Once you find out what it is then just use a good name brand, and if you want to drive the car forever then use a synthetic version(just an opinion).
    synthetic, duly noted...

so its plain gas station gear oil. i was expecting it to be some sort of exotic fluid. thanks.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    ndi naman kailangan na synthetic eh ...

try using mobil na gear oil GL-4 na siya and ndi sakit sa bulsa

price is around 180

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    synthetic multigrade gear oils are expensive - even more expensive than engine oil.

since asa pinas naman tayo kahit monograde na gear oil pwede. just take note that if the manufacturer says gl4, use gl4 NOT gl5 unless its compatible with gl4.

monograde gear oil such as spirax g sae90 (gl4) costs iirc 1xx.xx+/L while rp max gear 75w90 costs 8xx.xx/L

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    hmm. what do they use * petron/shell repair bays? yung nasa malaking canister na de-hand pump? are those gl4 or gl5?

tignan ko nga mamya...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    you'll have to check the packaging to make sure it matches the requirements.

the castrol protector series is pretty decent na. it's an 80w90 gearoil that's gl-4 if i'm not mistaken.

manual transmission fluid for corolla