New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I had my Carnival in for regular maintenance and had the A/T oil replaced. But instead of Dexron II I bought Delco Dexron III and that's when the reverse problem started.

The car reverses fine when the ground is level or near level but when it has to go over an obstacle or a ramp from dead stop (no momentum) the transmission judders big time. At one point I rev'ed the engine to almost 3000 rpm (with the transmission juddering all the while) when it lost power and the revs went down quickly.

Is this due to wrong type of ATF?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    You need to rebuild your transmission to secure the leaking of your valve body and reverse clutch assembly. It is not the wrong type of ATF. Specially if it is dextron III or II. you have a two problem, either your clutches in reverse are thin or you have a leak problem in your hydraulic circuit. Its very easy to repair. find a technician that understands the powerflow of your A/T and hydraulic circuit pressure. If you have other questions you can call me 09287618155/7944181.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosa_bong View Post
    You need to rebuild your transmission to secure the leaking of your valve body and reverse clutch assembly. It is not the wrong type of ATF. Specially if it is dextron III or II. you have a two problem, either your clutches in reverse are thin or you have a leak problem in your hydraulic circuit. Its very easy to repair. find a technician that understands the powerflow of your A/T and hydraulic circuit pressure. If you have other questions you can call me 09287618155/7944181.
    Hi Bong,

Do you know someone that could repair reverse problem or someone who could rebuild transmission?...
    pls txt me at 09998843579....
    Or anyone on this thread reading this...Thanks!

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    under the valve body of your tranny (aw50-42le) are two round flat sealing rings that are leaking fluid pressure (common problem on these transmission). but i doubt if you can buy them separately; included in the rebuild kit. labor for these trannies to rebuild is way expensive due to the difficulties in pulling out of the car (sub-frame has to be pulled-out).

Kia Carnival Park II A/T reverse problem