New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    my matic tranny got busted and hyundai casa advised to rebuild it for a whopping 140k!! In short, i towed out my starex to another workshop and decided to replace it with a surplus matic.

Due to big price difference, I opted to buy a surplus Pajero matic tranny (got it for 7k only in imus as against 35k for a hyundai original). According to a lot of mechanics in banawe, it should work as they have same mitsubishi turbo 4d56 engine (hyundai code: d4bf), just need to reuse the old bell housing. But as we measured the housing it seems all is identical so my mechanic decided to install the pajero tranny as is.

It worked forward and reverse, BUT can not shift-up, most probably due to the electrical system for sensing when to auto-shift. Anyone here knows the trick? I heard there's an need to interchange the wires.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what was the trouble in the first place? can't they just replace the faulty part?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    car couldn't move either forward or reverse, but engine is running. we saw discolored ATF which is a common symptom of burnt matic. cost is the reason why i opted not to replace just the parts, 15k for rebuilding kit, 65k for torque converter, all bnew from casa.

Cheers

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    grabe talaga ang casa...well i hope the pajero tranny works on your Starex. Keep us posted.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    this thread seem old,but i hope the pajero tranny worked.

i have a 97 starex and i'm having the same trouble as well.please give me an update on your starex and the process/procedure involved.

thank you.

Help: Starex automatic transmission