New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    There's no realistic way for us to diagnose your problem because we cannot look at the car and see for ourselves what is really wrong. Best estimates can be said but as always, with online forum advice, take everything with a grain of salt and consider all possible options.

Two of us have already mentioned the neutral safety switch. Why did I say that it's the switch? Because it's happened to me before. Starting is intermittent, there's no pattern as to whether it would start or not. Sometimes it would, sometimes not.

However, since the neutral safety switch is linked to your shift lever, if your transmission or engine mounts are shot, this may also cause your shift lever not to engage Park or Neutral. Or right when you park, do you shift to Park and let go of the brake to make the transmission "catch" and you hear a click? This confirms that the transmission's parking pawl has engaged properly. Sometimes you can be in a hurry and just shift to Park, pull on the hand brake, switch off the AC, radio, etc and take the keys out without allowing the transmission to catch. This is more noticed on inclined parking, when parking on a hill or steep ramp.

Yes, there won't be any sound if the safety switch has not engaged and you attempt to start the car with the key. This is because the safety switch prevents the car from starting in gears other than P or N, and if it does not engage in either, then it won't even click at all.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check if your shifter has a slack as well, sometimes the AT cable (forgot what it is called) gets stretched a little and it'll cause your gear lever not to make proper contact with the supposed gear.

My Nissan before had this problem, wasn't really the cable, but the rubber bushing that holds the end of the cable was worn out, causing the shifter to have 1/4" movement or so, if you move it to a gear, it doesn't make contact with whatever it should contact unless you nudge it a little more.

see my old thread here

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Good day!

May contact details ka pa ba or address nung pinag-pagawaan mo?

Thank you very much.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    check if your shifter has a slack as well, sometimes the AT cable (forgot what it is called) gets stretched a little and it'll cause your gear lever not to make proper contact with the supposed gear.

My Nissan before had this problem, wasn't really the cable, but the rubber bushing that holds the end of the cable was worn out, causing the shifter to have 1/4" movement or so, if you move it to a gear, it doesn't make contact with whatever it should contact unless you nudge it a little more.

see my old thread here

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    hindi kaya may switch na naka connect sa transmision mo papunta sa starter kaya nag kakaganun?

kasi kung sa solenoid or starter lang ang sira dapat di na iistart yan

at saka sabi mo ginalaw mo yung shifting gear biglang umistart?????

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
    ... upon moving the gear lever up and down there is this sudden
    click sound that we hear.....after that....we can now start the engine.....But lately
    as I mentioned above, we are having a hard time starting the engine.......Something
    strange thou is when we parked for approximately 30minutesor longer....the cars starts fine.....
    check the transmission switch as others have already mentioned ... it probably have developed poor contacts and is affected by temperature, which could explain the 30 minute cool down

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
    Good day!

May contact details ka pa ba or address nung pinag-pagawaan mo?

Thank you very much.
    Chris
    http://www.s1motorworks.com/

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post

Thanks and good day...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    OK, now I understand.......

May alam ba kayo shop na highly recommended
    sa ganitong problema......yung malapit sa laguna area.....

Thanks to all....
    Chris

9. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    maki ride sa topic,
    what if ithis happens on a manual car, starter solenoid na ba?
    as in brownout talaga. wala man lang redondo
    occasionally nangyayari sa kin. 1 year ng ganun
    nag start naman after a few tries

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    maki ride sa topic,
    what if ithis happens on a manual car, starter solenoid na ba?
    as in brownout talaga. wala man lang redondo
    occasionally nangyayari sa kin. 1 year ng ganun
    nag start naman after a few tries
    medyo kulang sa detail kung ano talaga ang problema pero try natin isa- isahin:
    1. check the ameter kung gagalaw if you turn on the key. pag di gumalaw ang ameter may problem sa electrical, fuse or loose contact.
    2. if your try to start and you hear clicking sound pero ayaw umikot ng starter, pwedeng may problem sa susian or may sirang relay. if no clicking sound at all baka fuse lang or loose connection.
    3. kung umiikot at starter pero walang redondo pwedeng walang kuryente. try pull out yung nakakabit sa spark plug ilapit mo sa makina yung tip then start see kung may spark (ingat lang medyo masakit kaya better to hold it with a plier). kung wala baka loose connection lang.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Help...Help...Ayaw mag-start: Automatic Transmission Car