New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hello everyone! Newbie here.

I read some threads regarding this one but I just want to clarify some things na hindi ko masyadong naintindihan.
    1. First is when gliding to a stop. Let's say 300m to the stoplight and I am in 4th gear. Kailangan ba kapag foot off the gas na dapat i-neutral na agad then break break na lang or stay on your gear and foot off the gas then break break tapos kapag malapit na magstop dun lang magcclutch tapos neutral?
    2. Follow-up question: Paano kapag before mo mareach yung stoplight nag go na at tumatakbo ka pa ng around 10-20kph, dapat ka bang mag2nd gear nun?

3. Dun naman sa downhill o pababa sa parking. Nabasa ko na wag magneutral at gamitin lang ang break. Pero ano pinagkaiba nun kapag nasa first gear ka pero parating nakafully depressed yung clutch mo kasi parati kang nagbrebreak?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mike8 View Post
    Hello everyone! Newbie here.
    I read some threads regarding this one but I just want to clarify some things na hindi ko masyadong naintindihan.
    1. First is when gliding to a stop. Let's say 300m to the stoplight and I am in 4th gear. Kailangan ba kapag foot off the gas na dapat i-neutral na agad then break break na lang or stay on your gear and foot off the gas then break break tapos kapag malapit na magstop dun lang magcclutch tapos neutral?
    Gradually depress the brake pedal. Tapos, when your car is already going slow, get a feel of the engine. Pag sa tingin mo mamamatayan ka na, then hit the clutch.

2. Follow-up question: Paano kapag before mo mareach yung stoplight nag go na at tumatakbo ka pa ng around 10-20kph, dapat ka bang mag2nd gear nun?
    Depende kung gaano ka kabilis o bagal. Kailangan mo mag downshift to a gear that matches your car's speed. The right speed varies depending on what car you're driving. So at 10-20kph, 2nd gear nga yon. Baka pwede makuha sa 3rd gear.

3. Dun naman sa downhill o pababa sa parking. Nabasa ko na wag magneutral at gamitin lang ang break. Pero ano pinagkaiba nun kapag nasa first gear ka pero parating nakafully depressed yung clutch mo kasi parati kang nagbrebreak?
    When you're going down a long incline (e.g. doon sa JVargas pababa or going down from Antipolo or Baguio), keep in the appropriate gear to match the desired speed.

Pero when you're in 1st gear, then most likely you're driving slow on a short incline (SM Parking?) In that case, okay lang to keep hitting the clutch para hindi mamatayan ng engine. Or kung very short distance like mall parkings, just go neutral.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Here's my personal take on this (but then again we all have different driving styles):

1. I think it's more advisable to stay in gear while gliding to a stop then go to neutral when you're near na, pero at the same time going neutral all the way isn't too bad rin naman.

2. Depende rin sa RPM mo at that time and how far your are from the other cars, pwedeng 2nd or 3rd. What is more important is you don't speed up too much while approaching kasi tendency mapapa-break ka at mas sayang yun sa momentum.

3. Di mo kailangan apakan yung clutch habang nagbbreak pababa. Kapag downhill ka at naka-gear, tumataas ang RPM so di ka dapat magworry na mamatayan (I assume kaya ka naka-clutch-break).

Yung naka-gear habang pababa for engine breaking is especially helpful on steep downhill descends, mas may control ka.

Basta what's important is get the feel of the car, like the ess said i-match mo lagi yung gear sa speed mo. Nothing bad in staying in neutral, but from a safety point of view mas maganda parin na naka-gear especially pag long, steep downhills.
    Last edited by kotiko; March 28th, 2011 at 04:44 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    On a long downhill (more than 500meters) I sometimes put the car in neutral.. BUT, have to be careful because if the engine quits for any reason, the power steering and brakes will also be lost..
    For gliding to stop lights, in gear is best. The miniscule amount you may save will never match what you will have to pay in case of an accident because you lost control of the car.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thanks ess and kotiko for your answers! Naliwanagan ako sa explanations niyo.

1. Buti na lang ok naman yung ginagawa ko. Bago lang kasi ako sa driving kaya gusto ko na di nakakasama sa kotse mga ginagawa ko gaya ng naka gear tapos pag malapit na magstop e dun palang magneutral o first gear.

2. Buti na lang ok din ito.

3. Dun nga kapag pababa sa parking, halos parati na lang akong nakaclutch. Iniisip ko baka parehas na lang sa nakaneutral yun eh.
    So di na rin pala dapat nakaapak parati yung clutch lalo na kapag higher gear. Tendency ko kasi yung kapag pababa na e apak na agad sa clutch habang nakaalalay sa break.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Thanks Bruks_pt! Bale nakakasave pa rin naman ng fuel kapag in gear ka while gliding to a stop mas malaki nga lang nasesave kapag nakaneutral agad?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Bruks_pt! Bale nakakasave pa rin naman ng fuel kapag in gear ka while gliding to a stop mas malaki nga lang nasesave kapag nakaneutral agad?
    Had a Ranger before and I used to put it in neutral on long downhills (at 120kph), then had to put it back into 5th gear at the end (~90kph) to maintain momentum.. After a while had to replace the clutch - though I can't say that that practice was what caused the clutch to go.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    nabasa ko sa HCP, share ko lang:

On efi, it is better to be in gear. The computer will shut off injectors. If in neutral, it will feed fuel to enable idling.

Fuel cutoff is enabled when the ecu sense high manifold vacuum, throttle plate closed, and speed not 0 kmh.

sa EFi you wont save gas, mas matipid kung nasa gear ka dahil patay ang injector ng most EFi when the engine speed is above idle speed and the tps reads closed throttle.

sa carb naman baligtad, mas konting fuel pag ang neutral ka kaso nga lang preno mo naman mag iinit at mauubos kaagad

Mas safe parin naka gear pababa, baka may instances kailangan mo magbrake, pag baba or uphill kasi minsan naglolock ang brakes..

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruks_pt View Post
    On a long downhill (more than 500meters) I sometimes put the car in neutral.. BUT, have to be careful because if the engine quits for any reason, the power steering and brakes will also be lost..
    For gliding to stop lights, in gear is best. The miniscule amount you may save will never match what you will have to pay in case of an accident because you lost control of the car.
    +1, whether M/T or A/T its the same. Just make sure that in A/t the car's engine in on.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    *mike8
    Also, when going down a long incline, you can control your max speed without using the brakes by sticking to the appropriate gear.
    For instance, if you're going down JVargas, and you shift to 3rd gear, let go of the gas, brake and clutch pedals. Notice that your speed will be capped at around 60kph( varies depending on car...).